Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > The Girls from the Revolutionary Cantina: A Novel

The Girls from the Revolutionary Cantina by Mike Padilla

Jun 18, 10

bookshelves: 2010-release, first-reads
Read from June 17 to 18, 2010

Think Sex and the City, Latina style. (Minus the Dior tee shirt/fancy skirt combos) Instead of four NYC gals tho, this novel has 5 LA chicks. Julia is a pretty work oriented, play it safe kind of gal. Her best friend is Ime. Julia has spent her whole life doting on Ime. Because Ime helped her out at a rough time in Julia's life, she feels she owes her something. Ime is VERY career oriented, risky, and takes what she wants when she wants it, to heck with everyone else, even Julia when it comes down to it. Concepcion is a little "out there." She is the one with the flashy clothes, obsessed with Hollwood, and a dance instructor with a knack for finding trouble. Marta is an older lady, the "mother" of the group who owns the Cantina and still smokes pot. Nina is a little strange and she is trying to decide if she wants to marry or become a lesbian.

All these women have their problems. Some of their problems are men. When Julia accidentally invites (Concepcion's doing, actually) her sexy co worker and newest crush to the girls' Cinco De Mayo party, Ime steals him away. What follows is tension at work for Julia and tension between Julia and Ime. Just how far is Julia going to let Ime go? Meanwhile, Ime is having jealousy issues with Ilario's (the man she stole) ex girlfriend. Nina is having some serious wedding doubts and Concepcion has gotten them all into trouble by aiding and abetting a celebrity and possible killer on the run from the police.

Are they all going to jail? Can Ime and Julia repair the ever growing rift between them? How is this all going to affect Julia's job prospects? When the you know what hits the fan, Julia is going to discover who her real friends are... if she has any at all. Seems a lot of people only look out for themselves and her friends may be those types.

It has been a fun tale, an entertaining peace of chic lit, but I am not blown away. I enjoyed it, but it won't stay with me now that I have turned the last page so it doesn't quite hit the 5 star mark, but I do recommend it for fun, easy reading.

I won this on goodreads firstreads. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls from the Revolutionary Cantina.

06/17/2010 page 1
0.0% "Just arrived in the mail today!"
06/17/2010 page 100
27.0% ""I always coordinate my beaners with my Beemers." LMAO That's cute!"
06/18/2010 page 151
41.0% "Really enjoying this but when is the risky scheme gonna happen?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Oh, good! I hope you love it as much as you are expecting to.

Tara Chevrestt Haven't started it yet.. Was finishing up Crestmont and hubby and I went out to eat.. but the summary sorta makes me think Sex and the City goes Latina and gets in some trouble.. LOL