Scott Sheaffer's Reviews > Fool

3203625
Aug 15, 10

bookshelves: humor
Read from May 28 to August 15, 2010 — I own a copy

To use Pocket’s favorite word: “Fuckstockings, that was good!”

Christopher Moore may not be for everyone but if you have read at least excerpts from his other books and enjoy them, then I'm sure you will love Fool.

The first page of the book features a very clear WARNING:

"This is a bawdy tale. Herein you will find gratuitous shagging, murder, spanking, maiming, treason, and heretofore unexplored heights of vulgarity and profanity, as well as nontraditional grammar, split infinitives, and the odd wank . . . If that's the sort of thing you think you might enjoy, then you have happened upon the perfect story!"

Having been warned I anxiously turned the page.

Fool is a novel somewhat based on Shakespeare’s King Lear. You don’t necessarily need to have read the Bards, King Lear to enjoy Moors version but some of the subtle (and not so subtle) satire might not be understood if you aren’t at least familiar with the story of King Lear. The King Lear story centers on an aging king who splits up his kingdom between his daughters based upon their professions of love for him, but of course, one daughter fails to kiss her fathers butt and instead tells him the truth rather than gush and engage in hyperbole.

Moore’s version of King Lear is retold from the Fool’s (named Packet) own unique perspective. Instead of being a powerless pawn, Moore’s Fool actually masterminds much of the play’s action. Pocket and his dim-witted sidekick, Drool, shag many maidens, plot devious escapades, and generally commit heinous fuckery most foul. Along the way, Pocket discovers some important truths about himself. Moore’s take on King Lear was humorous and fun. It was bloody “shaggalious” and I learned what a codpiece was too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool.

Quotes Scott Liked

Christopher Moore
“Love needs room to grow. Like a rose. Or a tumor.”
Christopher Moore, Fool

05/28/2010 page 26
8.36% "An absolutely delightful satire. Can't wait to see what happens next."
06/23/2010 page 76
24.0% ""I popped her bosoms out of her frock, then freed the roly-poly pink nosed puppies to the firelight and the friendly ministries of the master juggler,and thought to burble my cheeks softly between then, when the ghost appeared."" 2 comments
06/29/2010 page 113
36.0% "One of the funniest books I have ever read." 1 comment
07/05/2010 page 122
39.0% "If you’re on my friends list I’m sure you have better taste than this and would avoid reading tripe like;
“I found the fool rutting the princess Goneril like a rapacious goat, sire” . . . She was breathless, barefoot and one breast peeked Cyclopean out the bodice of her gown. . . Morning lamb, said Goneril, blindfolding the pink eyed Cyclops with a quick tuck.”"
07/19/2010 page 134
43.0% "Lear sat on his horse outside Castle Albany; howling at the sky like a complete lunatic. “May Nature’s nymphs bring great lobster-sized vermin to infest the rotted nest of her woman bits, and many serpents fix their fangs in her nipples and wave there until the poisoned dugs go black and drop to the ground like overripe figs.”"
07/19/2010 page 149
48.0% "“Oh for fuck’s sake, Lear, I’m a jester not a bloody wizard. If you’re going to keep driving into the muck of your regrets then I’ll just hold your sword for you and you can see if you can get your ancient ass moving enough to fall on the pointy part so we can both get some bloody peace.”"