Omnia's Reviews > Secret Daughter

Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

Jun 25, 11

Read from July 23 to September 03, 2010

Watching so many Bollywood hits, I never saw India as I saw her through the eyes of the writer. She has the ability to take you into her world in such a captivating way; making you see all the negatives and the positives of her Homeland, and finally you have nothing but fall in love with this rich and contradicting country.
Shilpi Gowda managed to discuss fatal subjects through her book in a smooth and endearing way. With her rich characters she goes through Poverty, Identity, Motherhood, Traditions, Love, Marital Relationships, Loss, Hope, Family and Adoption. She managed to put fair light on each character showing thier good and bad sides equally without being judgemental.
With her warm way she suceeded to show us how "Jasu" blammed himself for the loss of his daughters,for his failure to provide for his family and protect his son, in one of the greatest chapters of the book, making us see he was not such a cold heart afterall.
There was also some moments in the book when she could perfectly transfer the idea of contradiction by showing two Indias (the poor one and the rich one) through the marvelous comparison between the luxurious wedding and life in the slums.
Last night when I reached the last pages of this book, I felt so sad to leave this world behind that I was so taken with.
The story is touching, warm and I highly recommend it

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Daughter.

Quotes Omnia Liked

Shilpi Somaya Gowda
“Sometimes she wishes she could return to the naive happiness of their life. But mostly, she aches to go forward, to a place her body doesn't seem willing to take her.”
Shilpi Somaya Gowda, Secret Daughter

08/29/2010 page 210

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Claudette I especially liked how the author made us appreciate India and the culture there.