Christina's Reviews > I Am Legend

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

May 24, 12

bookshelves: 2007, fiction, library
Recommended for: horror fans and sci fi readers
Read in December, 2007

After seeing the posters for the Will Smith movie version of I am Legend, I found out it was based on a book, got it from the library and read it in one day.
Even though it takes place in the 1970s, it's a bleak future vision of life after the bombs and after a strange disease has conquered every human nation - except one man (and a dog).
The story is about the lone survivor Robert Nelville and how he tries to survive in a world filled with vampires hungering after his blood, how he each day secures his house and at night barricades himself in it to survive the hordes of vampires camping out in front of it, hoping to get a taste.
As a way to secure survival - and probably also to keep his sanity - he starts scientifically investigating what kills vampires and discovers that some of the traditional means are just psychologically - like mirrors and crosses (works only on Christian vampires!).
During these several years living alone he only has close contacts with two other beings - a stray dog he tries to tame (must admit I got tears in my eyes at this part but I'm so easily touched by sad dog stories) and the woman Ruth - who comes into his life, shows him what he has overlooked and what has happened with the world - and finally is crucial in making him - and us! - understand that he is legend.
Easy, fast-paced read - not amazing, but not too shabby either.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Legend.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henrik (new) - added it

Henrik Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book, Christina. As you know, I haven't read it yet, but know quite a few who have and who praise it. I will definitely put it on my own "to-read" list now:-)

And of course you shed tears with scenes involving a dog... Which reminds me: That is why you probably shouldn't read Robin Hobbs' ASSASSIN trilogy! In all honesty I think there are scenes that would cut into your heart too much.