Cassandra's Reviews > The Book of Three

The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

May 27, 10

bookshelves: children-s-literature, fantasy, children-over-8
Read in February, 2010

I am writing this review for the five Chronicles of Prydain books but will rate each one separately. I found the series fun to read, but it is definitely more simplistic than most of the children's fantasy books I have read. The author borrows quite a lot from Lord of the Rings and other fantasy classics, especially in the first and last books, but I realize that many fantasy writers do.

My biggest problem with the series is that it could have had so much more depth if the timing of the storyline was done a little differently. The books are pretty short, and each one presents a dilemma that is resolved by the end of that book. Consequently, things are a little too predictable and convenient. The characters just happen to come across some information that is crucial within the next few chapters to accomplishing their mission. If the author had written the series so that the characters came across information in an earlier book that ended up being important in a later book, it would have made the series much more interesting.

Still, I enjoyed them and would recommend them to children interested in fantasy. I especially liked that the main character is not the typical hero. He is defeated several times, always receives help from others in accomplishing important feats, and learns throughout the series that birth status and fame are less important than honest efforts to do what is right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Three.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jesse Whitehead I loved these books as a teenager. However I think the field of childrens literature has grown significantly in the last decade or so. Most of the books I try to read now that I loved so much then seem to be flat or boring.

That said, I do enjoy the Celt inspired story of Prydain as contrast to the very Norse inspiration of Tolkien and other fantasy writers.