Benjamin Chandler's Reviews > The Houdini Box

The Houdini Box by Brian Selznick

May 27, 2010

liked it
Read in May, 2010

I bought this book for a couple of reasons. I thought Selznick's previous book was pretty entertaining. I liked the images and the world he created. This book takes place in a similar world. A young boy has a brush with a famous personality who exudes a sense of magic. In this case the historical personality is Houdini, which was the 2nd reason I bought the book. I had recently heard an excellent podcast about Houdini and wanted to see where Selznick went with him.

The book, though was almost too fast of a read. I polished it off in about 10 minutes (and I'm a slow reader!). But it was entertaining and produced a nice sense of mystery and magic. I just wish there was a lot more so I could have immersed myself in the book's world a little longer. (Granted, it is a children's book, but still—I wanted more.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Houdini Box.

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike This sounds pretty cool. I have such a weak spot for Houdini - he seems like he was pretty cool.

What age is this for? I imagine it's a bit old for Henry.

Benjamin Chandler Mike wrote: "This sounds pretty cool. I have such a weak spot for Houdini - he seems like he was pretty cool.

What age is this for? I imagine it's a bit old for Henry."

I'd say the book would be fine for 2nd graders through 4th graders. Maybe younger kids, but there is a lot of text. So, you could always buy it and hold onto it for a while.