Tabitha Olson's Reviews > Claire de Lune

Aug 12, 10

liked it
bookshelves: recent-reviews
Read from June 27 to 30, 2010

This is a light and interesting story about a sweet girl who discovers she’s a werewolf. I liked Claire. She’s basically a good girl with a good heart. And even when she was defying her mom, she didn’t go off the deep end and get herself into serious trouble. Yes, that can make a good story, but it’s nice to read about more normal characters, too.

I also liked that Claire wasn’t the constant victim of mean girls who didn’t think she was good enough for the highly popular Matthew. She got a few snarling looks here and there, but that was it. Quite refreshing, actually.

There were a few things, though, that gave me pause. I never got a clear picture of the setting, why Matthew is so intriguing to Claire (aside from his popularity), or how werewolves came to be accepted as real and feared in Claire’s world. These are all big pieces of information that make it possible for me to step out of my own life and into Claire’s. I was disappointed that I couldn’t do this very well.

I was also disappointed in the identity of the rogue werewolf. I kind of understood her motivations for killing humans, but not completely because of other things she did. If we’d gotten to see more of her and learned about what she really wanted to accomplish, then I think I would have enjoyed the big reveal at the end.

I thought the lack of security around Claire’s mom was too convenient, the information that Mom refused to give Claire seemed a contrived way to increase tension, and I wasn’t sure what Emily’s purpose was in the story. Finally, I didn’t understand the benefits of having a pack in Claire’s world. These issues give the story less oomph than it could have had.

A lot of werewolf stories are dark with truly troubled characters, but this one doesn’t go that far. The romance between Claire and Matthew is kept pretty innocent, and even the murders aren’t gruesome with details. Because of that, I think this is great for younger teens, even some middle graders, who like werewolf stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claire de Lune.