Adrienne's Reviews > The Piano Teacher

2087365
Oct 10, 10

bookshelves: oriental, war
Read from October 06 to 09, 2010, read count: 1

October 10....I've had a chance to sleep on this even though I went to bed crying,woke in the night crying and have been weepy for most of the day when I think about this story. B/c it's had such a profound affect on me....like a Megan Hart it's staying and not going quietly...I've decided to give it 5 stars. I stopped giving stars, in the hopes that you guys would read the review and then decide if the book was one you'd like to read but I feel so strongly about this one.....My emotion at the moment is one of despair there is one character in this book who is detestable, a vile charcater they are not a main player but when, at the end you find out what this person has done the full force of what this book is about comes home. There are many things I would like to talk about from the bigotry, the racism (especially that felt towards eurasain)and the attitude of the Britsh who lived not only in Honk Kong but in other colonys around the world at that time. I feel however that to discuss those at this time would spoil the book for others even I placed a spoiler tag. Save to say Trudy is the person who has stuck with me (I think she will for a long time to come) and even whilst I'm typing this I'm crying at the bloody injustice of everything!!!
I expect I will add more to this review as time goes on but for the moment I'm trying to pick up the pieces of my shattered soul. Dramatic I know but that's how it's got me. Silly stupid book LOL

October 9 Oh God I was going to reserve my review until I had time to reflect on what I've just read. I will say here that this is not a story for anyone who likes a HEA/HFN in their reading the ending does bring closure but I would also like to think that maybe just maybe Will and Claire story continues of screen so to speak. This is a sad story of what people will do to survive and the lies some will tell to secure their survival, and the consequences of those lies and the devistation to others that those lies have.
I think the author intended this to a sort of coming of age story of a young Englishwoman (Claire) in post war Hong Kong but my romantic heart has also read this: the tragic,tragic love story between Will and Trudy pre-war, and then the impossible love that Will and Claire share post-war. The two stories are linked by a separate tale of deception and collaberation. I can't speak highly enough of this story. I may add more to this review but at the moment I want to just let go of it quitely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Piano Teacher.

10/06/2010 page 35
11.0% "Started reading this by accident. But it's pulled me in hook,line and sinker."
10/08/2010 page 139
42.0% "Oo this book is going to be sooooo sad....I have a feeling about it! We've just been interned and I think horrible things will happen to Trudy:("
10/09/2010 page 209
64.0% "My heart is breaking for Will and Trudy."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Miss Kim (new) - added it

Miss Kim I'm going to pick this one up, Adrienne. :)

Adrienne I hope it works for you too Kim, I'm sure it will:) It's different to other stuff I've read and now has a special place in my heart. I'm finding with books like this I don't want to find 'something else like it' b/c they're one of a kind. I'm hoping though that Ms Lee will write another book.