Amy's Reviews > The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Jun 06, 10

bookshelves: arc, autographed, 2010-challenge
Read from June 05 to 06, 2010 — I own a copy

ARC! (for my full review, go to http://thepagesofbrooks.blogspot.com/...)

After the first few pages, I hate to now admit that I was prepared to severely dislike this book... At first, the characters were pure stereotypes [my least favorite thing to read nearly 300 pages of:] - you had the gorgeous best friends, the cliques of jocks, the sluts... And, of course, you have the snarky, concieted, Greek-god-like bad boy with a reputation.

But then there was a break in the clouds. The characters started to take unique shapes, to show the different aspects of themselves behind the common high school labels. From there, the story really took off and it rescued itself from being banned from my bookshelf [a rare but serious event in my room lol:]. Once I realized that the major stereotypical writing in the beginning was only giving better cushion for the deeper understanding of each of the characters and a more forceful view of the main theme, I didn't want to put this book down. I read until the early hours of the morning just to finish it, flailing slightly in bed each time something adorably sweet and unexpected occured. I still smile at one damn line that I want to gush about with someone... but I can't until September [damn ARC! The line is on page 243 for anyone else who has read the ARC:].

Being a new and still-young author, Keplinger writes a realistic description of what it is like to be in high school. She makes it a point to realize that everyone - girl, boy, all shapes and sizes - has felt like the Duff, and we shouldn't be ashamed of it.

Plain and simple, this book makes me smile :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The DUFF.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rashda (new) - added it

Rashda Wat does ARC mean?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Rashda wrote: "Wat does ARC mean?"

Advanced Reader Copy (basically means a copy of the book before it's completely edited and officially published - publishing companies give advanced copies to get early feedback on the book)