Gail's Reviews > Blood, Smoke and Mirrors

Blood, Smoke and Mirrors by Robyn Bachar

Mar 30, 11

bookshelves: e-book, fantasy-romance, urban-fantasy
Read in March, 2011

I liked this book a lot. The heroine is a witch who got kicked out of the coven/witch society for killing someone with her magic in self-defense. And her boyfriend is the one who turned her in. Most everyone's shunned her since then, except for her boss at the diner and the local Titania (a title, not a name)--the liaison between human magicians and the fae. When the Titania dies, the ex-boyfriend-traitor shows up to ask the heroine to apply for the job. There's a tryout/test phase to go with the application, and she discovers her father--who abandoned her and her mother, and who she hates for being a necromancer, besides the family stuff--is the other competitor for the job. The necromancers and vampires (who are just dead necromancers) are up to something, but the heroine isn't sure what. There's lots of fighting, sneakiness, betrayal, hurt, loving, making up, and other stuff in this story, and I just really enjoyed it.

I read mostly ebooks these days, so I didn't realize that it's from an ebook publisher until I got around to doing this little reviewlet. Samhain is doing a really good job with its books. Don't be afraid to pick one up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood, Smoke and Mirrors.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz B (new)

Liz B I agree about Samhain. I think their prices are outstanding and so is the quality of the books. Also, their kindle titles are lendable--I'm doing a lot of trading on Lendle, so I like buying Samhain b/c then it adds extra value on Lendle.

I tend to use Lendle to borrow books by authors I'm not familiar with so I can try something out for free--but of course the only books that are available are lendable titles. Add to that the fact that I preferentially buy lendable titles now...and most of my reading time and $$ goes to Samhain, Tor, St. Martin's Press, and Kensington.