Johnsergeant's Reviews > Life of Pi

220391
Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: audiblecom, audiobook, india, top-10-list-more-or-less
Read in July, 2003

We listened to this book on a road trip to Canada from New Jersey in 2003, when my children were 13 and 10, and my parents were with us. Everyone was just entranced by the story. It made the journey much more bearable!

Narrated by Jeff Woodman

11 hrs and 38 mins

Publisher's Summary

Pi Patel has been raised in a zoo in India. When his father decides to move the family to Canada and sell the animals to American zoos, everyone boards a Japanese cargo ship. The ship sinks, and 16-year-old Pi finds himself alone on a lifeboat with a hyena, an orangutan, a zebra with a broken leg, and a 450-pound Bengal tiger.
Soon it's just Pi, the tiger, and the vast Pacific Ocean - for 227 days. Pi's fear, knowledge, and cunning keep him alive until they reach the coast of Mexico, where the tiger disappears into the jungle. The Japanese authorities who interrogate Pi refuse to believe his story, so he tells a second one - more conventional, less fantastic. But is it more true?
A realistic, rousing adventure and meta-tale of survival, Life of Pi explores the redemptive power of storytelling and the transformative nature of fiction. It's a story, as one character claims, to "make you believe in God."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.