Tatiana's Reviews > Shadowfever

bookshelves: 2011, urban-fantasy, favorites, 2012
Recommended for: any self-respecting Jericho-obsessed Fever fan
Read from January 18, 2011 to September 22, 2012, read count: 2

NO SPOILERS (I wouldn't do this to you) *But there might be some in comments*

OMG! What an exciting ride it has been! And how satisfying! So much depended on the quality of this last installment and, thank goodness, Moning didn't disappoint. Shadowfever is not one of those series finales that you want to forget ever reading. Quite the opposite. There is a lot to be said about benefits of series' outlining. I strongly believe that a series with no pre-planning has almost no chance of succeeding. We are lucky Moning knows her stuff.

This last installment is a twisty tale, with so many revelations and surprises, your head will spin. After speculating for months who was who or what and what everyone's motives were, I have to admit, I guessed correctly almost none of it. It takes talent to write an ending that is so satisfying and with the outcome we all wanted, and make it so exciting and unpredictable until the very last page.

Shadowfever is not a flawless book. Some vital revelations were not foreshadowed properly. I also found the 1st part of the book a little hard to connect with. It gave me painful flashbacks of being in Katniss' head in Mockingjay (I love that book by the way). But the moment the 2nd part begins, oh my, there is no stopping that train! I ended up staying up most of last night telling myself - just one more chapter... And the flaws? Well, even though there is plenty of them, the final result is still deliciously satisfying.

I feel exhilarated and uplifted after finishing Shadowfever. Do not worry, it ends well, even though the path to HEA is a thorny and angsty one. Yes, the series became darker and darker over time, but Moning wasn't lying assuring us that Fever series was about light and not darkness. Indeed it is. Shadowfever is about light, about survival and, of course, love. Love makes appearance in many unexpected forms in this novel.

I also have to give Moning a special credit the fae world she had created. It is by far the most creative, complex and convoluted (in a good way) take on fae mythology I have ever encountered.

And of course there is that VERY IMPORTANT part of the series we all can't get enough of. I don't think there are many fantasy hunks out there who could rival Jericho Barrons. He is the one very-very bad guy who you simultaneously want to run away from and do bad-bad things to him behind the bookshelves in BB&B... Goodness, I feel hot flashes just thinking about him!

I look forward to reading Fever books again and again in all their sexy, violent, intriguing glory. And there are more Fever universe books on the way. Isn't that great?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadowfever.

01/18/2011 page 1
0.0% "Jericho, my love, here I come!" 4 comments
01/18/2011 page 84
14.0% "Wow! WTF just happened?"
01/18/2011 page 140
24.0% "YESSS!" 1 comment
01/19/2011 page 420
71.0% "I don't want it to end..."
09/19/2012 page 282
42.0% 2 comments
09/21/2012 page 590
87.0% 14 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Rosanne Love this status update :)

Kat Kennedy Those kind of statements just keep on coming...

Jean Pearl you are indirectly making me urge myself to read this series...lol

Tatiana What are you waiting for?:)

Jean Pearl i'm waiting for my school to end! haha. yeah seriously, i WILL read this series. it's your enthusiasm that moves me!

Kat Kennedy Great review, Tatiana!

Tatiana Thanks. IDK about you, I am exhausted after my Shadowfever reading marathon...

Mariel Yay!!!!!

Tatiana Yay indeed. I am fully satisfied:)

Kat Kennedy I feel... Happy. I feel like reccomending this Series to people wasn't a bust and that I can continue to order people to go read it without worrying that I'm leading them to heartbreak.

Mariel I love this series so much. I just wish everything was this addicting!

message 12: by Tatiana (last edited Jan 20, 2011 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana So true. I feel ashamed for pimping VA a year ago. But we can start another round of "Fever" promo:)

message 13: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Great review. Thanks for keeping it spoiler free!

message 14: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek great review! i still dont know where I'm gonna go when I finally write one for it. (I actually have to do Dreamfever yet too...)

Tatiana Don't worry, Zeek, you'll come up with something. I've been updating my for hours now:)

message 16: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek Oh I know I will- just not sure how to approach and like you I dont want to give anything away- such a rich book!

Kat Kennedy I've updated my review several times as I've thought of new stuff.

I went through a reread all the juicy Barrons/Mac stuff in Shadowfever. *Drools* Oh yeah...

message 18: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek lol! me too Kat!

Tatiana LOL. I just finished rereading all juicy parts myself:) And now wondering how their vital parts are not hurting after all that schmexing about:)

Kat Kennedy Immortality really has its benefites! *wink*

Tatiana Having a magic hooha helps as well I suppose:)

Mariel Barrons. *sigh*

Kat Kennedy Now I want a magic hooha! I'm thinking that maybe Barrons and Mac can't breed.

Mariel I'd feel sorry for their kid. It'd starve while they stayed in bed.

message 25: by Tatiana (last edited Jan 19, 2011 05:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana Good you brought it up. I kept thinking - does anybody take any birth control in this relationship? Or where does all that "stuff" go?

Kat Kennedy No birth control used. I don't think Mac's ever even mentioned being on the pill either.

message 27: by Zeek (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek oforgods sake its urban FANTASY. if I want real life I'll read literary. :P

Kat Kennedy I'm just curious, Zeek! I honestly don't think Barrons can reproduce. I think about these things. You don't have to speculate on these things but I find it interesting.

message 29: by Zeek (last edited Jan 19, 2011 06:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek i know I was just messin witchya. THat is something to speculate about him- amongst other things. :)

(altho I am not one of those who gets all hepped up about people not using protection in a romance novel. if its there great, if not I never think "hmm why dont they ever use protection." its a romance novel, ie escapist reading, it aint true to life in the first place.::shrug:: people got all up in arms about it a few yrs back ridiculing one very famous romance author for thinking it wasnt romantic to have to stop in the middle of a scene and get a rubber. the fact that people made such a stink about it made me more upset than the fact it was missing. sorta like how its all cool to bash a book you dont like with all kinds of snark. If I see the word douche describing a character you dont like one more time I'm gonna scream, ugh. Unless its literary, then all bets are off because I hates me some elitist literary reviewers and they do in fact equal douche bag! haha!)

message 30: by Tatiana (last edited Jan 19, 2011 06:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tatiana Kat wrote: "I'm just curious, Zeek! I honestly don't think Barrons can reproduce. I think about these things. You don't have to speculate on these things but I find it interesting."

Kat, but what about his son though?

I think about this sort of thing sometimes. I started thinking about it when Mac was a Pri-ya. It's just curious when so much schmexing is involved and one participant isn't quite there. It's a legit question IMO.

message 31: by Kat Kennedy (last edited Jan 19, 2011 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat Kennedy Yeah but his son was conceived before he became whatever he is. Seriously, there's 9 of them. No children to speak of who have come to join them. I'm thinking we can consider Barrons sterility a distinct possibility.

Zeek, I kind of understand the uproar actually. There is nothing sexy about STD's or unwanted pregnancies. I don't care so much in this novel because I don't think Barrons is capable of either but in a real romance novel between two modern day humans? Yeah, I want to see some protection being worn.

Scientists predict that in my generation, up to 80% of people have STD's whether they know it or not. Makes unprotected sex sound a lot less sexy to me...

message 32: by Zeek (last edited Jan 20, 2011 04:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zeek of course theres nothing sexy about stds.

dont be upset with me. :P

Kat Kennedy It's all good, Zeek.

Lydia Can't wait...I guess all those cliff hangers were worth it.

Megan Great review! You're right ~ even though it wasn't perfect, it was amazing :) Can't wait for the new series!

Fiction Fool I couldn't have said it better myself. In fact, I didn't. LOL. But you are right... Shadowfever was both flawed and incredible. Which left me both conflicted and amazed. Loved your review!

Tatiana Thank you, Aimee:)

OneSarcasticGirl I seriously adore your review!

Brianne Great review! Can't wait for more Fever books... and the Fever movies! So glad DreamWorks is picking it up... though I can't imagine who they're possibly going to use as Barrons!

Micheline Awesome review! And I'm with you, I know I'll be reading and re-reading this series again and again. What amazing world building, suspense and well lets be honest BARRONS!

Tatiana Yes, BARRONS:) Can't wait to rearead it all again.

message 42: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Webb I had read this series as an audiobook, and now I've ordered the paperbacks from our library so that I can reread it again--even though I just finished it a week ago. I don't want the world to end so soon.

Tatiana LOL, Rita, I see you've been mightily impressed by this series.:) I am happy you enjoyed it.

message 44: by Rita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rita Webb I can't remember the last time I felt this way about a book. I think that the difference was that (1) I read the story in audiobook format and (2) I read one after the other so that I never got the chance to forget the story before I picked up the next one.

Tatiana This story is very absorbing for sure, it sucks you in:)

message 46: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Just finished all 5 books in maybe a 2 week span. Now nothing I read seems to satisfy my appetite:). Any recommendations on something similar to the Fever Series...

Tatiana I wish there was something as good, Amy...:(

Hellebore I really wish there was a series as good as the fever series to dive into and fly through in a week and still want to re-read.. I'd even settle for close but not quite as good series I mean there's only 1 Barrons!!! Anyrecommendations would be appreciated!!

Tatiana Some might argue this, but I am yet to come across an UF hunk equaling in appeal to Jericho's. Therefore my only hope is that KMM keeps writing more about him.

Hellebore I totally agree, lucky for us KMM is writing 2 more Mac & Barrons books!! Yay! But the first one is only coming out in 2015.. :( soo long to wait, but we'll have the Dani O'Malley Trilogy in the middle which will help to tide me over..

« previous 1