Jonathan B's Reviews > Orthodoxy

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton

Sep 22, 2013

bookshelves: practical-theology, theology, read-more-than-once
Read from May 27 to 31, 2010

I think he over does it on the paradox bit. There are genuine paradoxes in Christian theology and I'm all for keeping them as paradoxes, but a lot of what Chesterton tries to draw as a paradox is really just an equivocation and wordplay that can easily be untangled. (I'm not saying that a genuine paradox may not be an equivocation, but that if it is an equivocation it's generally not something we know how to untangle.)

He has a unique way of approaching a subject to try and turn an objection on its head, but his reasoning is obviously specious in some parts, which causes you to wonder whether his entire method is worth anything.

Update 9-22-2013 -

I re-read this book recently. I was able to appreciate more of Chesterton's insights this time around. Maybe to fully appreciate Chesterton's insightful criticisms of people you need to experience some of that madness in the world for yourself. Nevertheless, looking over my old review, I stand by criticisms. Though I would clarify that I don't think a specious argument in one area should be used to dismiss Chesterton entirely. I'm going to bump my rating of this book up from three stars to four.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orthodoxy.