Julie's Reviews > Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn

Threads by Nell Gavin

May 27, 10

bookshelves: own, fiction, tudor
Read in November, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I typically devour anything having to do with the Tudors, and was initially intrigued by the premise of Threads, but I was not engaged with this particular story. Told by Anne Boleyn from the afterlife, she provides commentary as she observes her past lives, which include stints as a prostitute in ancient Egypt, a traveling performer in 12th century Europe, a Chinese peasant in the 1700's, a socialite in New York during the 19th century and her infamous role as the doomed second wife of Henry VIII. She reflects on decisions she has made and relationships she fostered, often encountering familiar characters in multiple lives. While her goal is to learn from her past mistakes, I never felt she had any sense of remorse or repentance and her philosophical contemplations didn't seem to serve much purpose. By the time Anne meets Henry again in 1970, I found I had never developed any sympathy toward her and that the bulk of the narrative that told of her life with Henry lacked dimension. The author developed some interesting concepts in Anne's story and the reincarnation aspect was original, but overall, I just wasn't engrossed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Threads.