Sarah's Reviews > Three Days to Never

642041
Jun 05, 10

bookshelves: time-travel, speculative-fiction
Read from May 27 to June 04, 2010

Tim Powers has written some of my very favorite books, but this is not one of them. The last several of his books that I have read feel to me as if he is trying to parody his own better works. All of his hallmarks are here: time travel, proximity to historical characters, places or items imbued with power, strange and useful rituals, and cheap beer. Most of them are used in a clever way, but cleverness for its own sake doesn't really do anything for me. The whole thing feels impersonal and cluttered. New rules and superstitions and rituals pop up every page or so, but the reader never gets a chance to catch up or understand why or how they exist.

Finally, while I think Powers did solid research, oh weh -always in italics - is the worst transliteration of a good yiddish "oy vay" that I have ever seen. It looks like something Paris Hilton would say, or maybe a talking British lamb.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Days to Never.

Lori (Hellian) I haven't read this one yet!

Sarah I've had it since it came out, but I thought I'd finally read it for the TAW July book...

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel If I like your review for anything, it has to be the "British lamb" comment that just made me giggle. XD

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Good review. Was the Oh weh trying to be a germanic "v" for "w" maybe?

Sarah I guess. The combination of "oh" for "oy" and that anemic "weh" just came across strangely every time I saw it. I didn't see any other v for w substitutions in the occasional Hebrew transliterations.