Ruby Hollyberry's Reviews > The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories

The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

Jun 11, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi, favorites

Another Lovecraft fan is born! This has been the direct result of my falling head over heels for the books (the ones I have acquired, that being Silk, Threshold, Murder of Angels, Low Red Moon, Daughter of Hounds, The Red Tree, and Alabaster) of Caitlin R. Kiernan, who has been heavily influenced by Lovecraft in style as well as content and who is to my mind one of the most talented writers of the current day, and one with the most to say. I was not able to immediately procure more of her writing, and fell back on Lovecraft, of whom I had only read The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, and liked it, but I was suffering under the misapprehension that it was "more fantasy" and "less horror" than his other works. None of his stories as I have found them so far, are simple fantasy, sci fi, or horror, but are very much his own way of seeing, incorporating all three. Just as I reflected after going to the horror section looking for Threshold, the first time I'd been there since eighth grade rendered me too mature to appreciate Flowers in the Attic, (the sequel to it, Low Red Moon, my first Kiernan read, was curiously put in fantasy, presumably to draw in a different readership, which worked in my case), "If this is horror, give me more of it". I have read several stories not in this collection on the website, and have just received a spanking-new copy of the collection At the Mountains of Madness. I can't wait to begin!
3 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doom That Came to Sarnath and Other Stories.