Adrienne's Reviews > The Lover

2087365
Feb 05, 14

bookshelves: library-loan, foreign-language, dnf
Read on February 05, 2014

I've come to the conclusion that I do not get on with Marguerite Duras. After reading Blue Eyes, Black Hair I felt emotionally void. It was silted ,didn't flow. I thought perhaps it was the style of that particular book however after attempting to read The Lover I know it's not. This sparse and frankly boring style of writing is Duras, it's relentless; no description, no colour not even grey or black and white.
The story line of The Lover is (potentially) beautiful, but the total lack of any emotion is crippling. Sparse writing need not be like this Silk for instance, which is much sparser than The Lover brings with it heart breaking emotion. Fleetingly in The Lover; when describing her dress and hat and shoes, does the writing come close to hitting the mark. I've come to the conclusion that Duras writes in a kind of sterile way and she does depression well, pulling the reader down with her.
I read the last few pages I know what happens. Life is too short to labour through something that doesn't captivate me.

After note :- In case anyone wonders I didn't find it difficult to follow, nor did I read this with my 'outraged at being morally offended' hat on either. It just wasn't for me, no arguments about good or bad writing or my lack of ability to appreciate caviar over candy floss please.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lover.

11/08 marked as: to-read
02/05 marked as: currently-reading
02/05 marked as: read
02/05 marked as: dnf

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by mark (new)

mark monday I've come to the conclusion that I do not get on with Marguerite Duras.

I think I came to something similar to that conclusion after reading The Ravishing of Lol Stein. although I did come away with a feeling of admiration as well. well maybe not 'admiration' per se. respect.

I do love a film she wrote, Hiroshima Mon Amour.

message 2: by Adrienne (new) - added it

Adrienne I really wanted to love The Lover. I remember the film but haven't seen it, perhaps I should.