Jemidar's Reviews > The Darling Strumpet

bookshelves: to-read, tbr-fiction-historical, blog-giveaways
I own a copy

**Won a Giveaway copy from The Misadventures of Moppet**

Thanks Moppet!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darling Strumpet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Congrats on the win.

message 2: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar My first Giveaway win ever, so I'm really excited :-).

Elysium Congrats! Can't wait to hear what you think of this.

message 4: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar Thanks! It'll be interesting to see how it compares to Exit the Actress.

Sabrina I enjoyed it. I hope you will too.

message 6: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar It arrived today so I'll be starting it soon :-).

message 7: by Isis (new)

Isis ooh, lucky you!

message 8: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar Thanks! First book freebie I've ever got :-).

Orsolya Luckyyyyy!!!! I tried to win this. Nell is my fave historical figure and I have read/try to read all the books I can get my hands on relating to her. Enjoy!

message 10: by Pat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pat While Exit the Actress is fun and lighthearted, this novel about Nell, so far anyway, is a bit depressing and includes a little TMI about her sexual encounters. I'll be looking forward to seeing your reaction once you get started.

message 11: by Misfit (new) - added it

Misfit Pat wrote: "While Exit the Actress is fun and lighthearted, this novel about Nell, so far anyway, is a bit depressing and includes a little TMI about her sexual encounters. I'll be looking forward to seeing y..."

Definitely TMI, and why I bailed early on.

message 12: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar Thanks Orsolya :-).

Pat, it will be interesting to compare this to Exit the Actress, and to be honest, I found that version of Nell a little Mary-Sue, so while I'm wary of the graphic sex that everyone keeps talking about, I think in the end it might lead to a more realistic Nell. But only time will tell on that.

Misfit, I've heard that it calms down a bit in the second half of the book. Wish me luck...

message 13: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Cogratulations on winning the Giveaway!!! That is so cool! I used to be able to get ARCs frequently,from a favorite local bookstore,but this economy ruined things & they went out of business a year & a half ago. Since then,I've tried entering all of the giveaways I can, (for books I'm interested in) but I've never had any luck. I'm glad that one of my friends HAS had some luck!!! I know whenever I did get an ARC, it made me happy for AT LEAST a MONTH! I hope it does the same for you. Congrats,again!! :)

message 14: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar Thanks Laura! Yep, I'm still smiling :-).

Suzanne I found the sex scenes a bit uhm... odd... too, but to be honest there were only a couple and in some way the harshness of them seemed to illustrate the new stages in Nells life and seemed to have some functionality in that way. They weren't pretty - just like life. Kinda.

message 16: by Jemidar (new) - added it

Jemidar It certainly sounds like it's going to be an interesting read. I'm assuming that Nell's life wasn't always a bed of roses so you may well be right