Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*'s Reviews > Naked in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

May 03, 14

bookshelves: library-book, romantic-suspense, mystery-thrillers, reviewed
Recommended to Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* by: Ren, and Buggy's and Jasmin's review becoming "Roarke Groupies"
Read from November 04 to 09, 2010

4 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

Okay, here’s the quick and dirty... well, sort of. Naked In Death is the first book in the daunting (almost 40 books!!... and still growing) “In Death” series by Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb. I kept putting off reading it, for that very reason.

Though, after recent reviews by Goodreads friends who have joined the growing legion of “Roarke Groupies”, I was most curious to read this book to find out for myself what the fuss is over Roarke. While I do not feel I have reached full “Groupie” status, I think perhaps a badge of “Rookie Groupie” is in order. ^_^

What is it about Roarke? Well, it’s not just that he is a mysterious, tall, dark and stunningly handsome “bad-boy”, or that he owns like…WHOA! … 20-something % of the world in 2058. It is his intelligence, confidence, drive and determination in getting what he wants - and he wants Eve. And who could resist his oh-so-sweet moments, like with the button and the coffee? *sighs* I won’t say anymore so as not to spoil it for those who have not yet read this book, but fans of the series will know what I’m talking about. ^_~

I seem to recall, prior to reading this book, people expressing that they didn’t really like Eve. Lt. Eve Dallas reminded me of the character of Charlotte King in the TV series, Private Practice. She is prickly, with a hard shell, and I just knew this had to have been developed as a defence mechanism against some trauma she had suffered previously. What Eve needs is the right touch, à la Roarke. I actually really liked Eve, the tough chick.

I really liked Eve’s friend, Mavis. She was funny and provided the comic relief in the story, like for example, in the scenes below where Mavis and Eve are discussing Roarke:

‘"Is he good? Stupid question," she said quickly. "You wouldn't have stayed otherwise. Wow, Eve, what got into you? Besides his incredibly energetic c**k?"’

‘"Okay, but can you tell me if he looks as good in person as he does in pictures."
"Better," Eve muttered.
"Jesus, really?" Mavis moaned and let herself fall onto the sofa. "I think I just had an orgasm."’

Yes, that is the kind of effect that Roarke has. ^_^

One of the issues I did have with the book was with the futuristic elements. For the most part, I did not actually feel immersed in the “future”, but rather, I very much felt like was reading a contemporary novel with bits of unexpanded and unexplained futuristic things dropped in, eg. references to “AutoChef”, “Glida-Grill” etc. without a bit more of a description of it. I mean, you can guess that this “AutoChef” prepares the food in the future, but do we buy the ingredients and put it in there and then a cooked Spaghetti Bolognese comes out? The “Glida-Grill” I assume is a futuristic New York hot dog stand that glides from place to place rather than being set up on a particular corner? While I didn't want an "info dump", I do wish the author hadn’t just dropped names like that, as it took me out of the story, at times.

Very briefly, ...speaking of "briefs", if you keep reading you will be rewarded further on... ahem... Right, as I was saying, very briefly, the plot involves Lt. Eve Dallas investigating a series of murders committed in the “old way” using “antique” guns. These are the guns of today, ie. revolvers, magnums, etc. Roarke is one of her suspects and this is how they meet. "Up against the wall, Roarke, spread 'em!" Well, it actually didn't happen like that... LOL

Overall, I really enjoyed my first “In Death” book and will certainly be reading more - Hey, I want to upgrade to full "Roarke Groupie" status! ^_^ - though I will most definitely be pacing myself.

My Eve (Morena Baccarin):

My Roarke (David Gandy) – Even though Roarke is supposed to have longer hair, I think David Gandy is certainly gorgeous enough and has that teasing “rich bad-boy” look about him to suit Roarke’s personality. Special thanks to Quinn for mentioning him! David was a delicious image to have whilst reading. ^_^

And since this is NAKED in Death, the following images of Roarke are...*coughs*...well, a must, obviously. LOL Images kindly supplied by Rane. Special thank you, Rane! ^_^

**WARNING: NOT SAFE FOR WORK!**

Roarke - Naked in Bed

The Reward, as promised....

This is Roarke, on his travels, and he can't stop thinking about Eve. He might own a lot of the world ... but what he really wants is ... Eve. OMG, Eve, you lucky, lucky woman!

Video footage: Roarke missing Eve

Of course, one of the richest men in the world would only wear Dolce and Gabbana briefs.

(Special thanks to my friend, Dina, for the above YUMMYLICIOUS video today!)

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER: I do not hold the copyright to any of the images used in this review. They are posted to add visuals to the review and for fun. If any of these images are yours and you would like me to remove them, please let me know, and I will do so as soon as possible. If I can identify the copyright, I will do so.
67 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.

11/04/2010
4.0% ""She was young for her rank, barely thirty, with wide brown eyes that never had a chance to be naive. Her doe-brown hair was cropped short, for convenience rather than style, but suited her triangular face with its razor-edge cheekbones and slight dent in the chin." And I immediately think of..." 16 comments
11/05/2010
20.0% "Ooohhh...little did I realise the description of Roarke was but a few pages away! Mmm...Mmmm..." 13 comments
11/05/2010 page 48
16.0% ""Then he'd sensed something, something that had coiled his muscles, tightened his gut. He'd felt her gaze, as physical as a blow. When he'd turned, when he'd seen her, another blow. A slow motion one-two punch he hadn't been able to evade. It was fascinating." - Roarke, YOU are fascinating!! *sighs*" 11 comments
11/05/2010 page 45
15.0% ""You're a beautiful woman, and we're quite alone, at least for the next fifteen minutes. Yet all we've shared has been coffee and brandy." He smiled at the temper smoldering in her eyes. "Heroic, isn't it, what restraint I have?" - LOL, Roarke! You do enjoy playing the bad boy, don't you?" 4 comments
11/05/2010 page 47
15.0% "'When he leaned over, she stiffened and nearly hissed as his hand brushed her arm. He only smiled, his face close, his eyes level. "You need to strap in," he said quietly. "We'll be landing in a moment.' - Why does that just give me shivers?? *sighs*" 7 comments
11/05/2010 page 54
18.0% "As she read over Eve's shoulder, Mavis let out a whistle. "Not the Roarke! The incredibly wealthy, fabulous to look at, sexily mysterious Roarke who owns approximately twenty-eight percent of the world, and its satellites?" All Eve felt was irritation. "He's the only one I know." - Aww... C'mon, Eve! LOL" 1 comment
11/05/2010 page 55
18.0% ""Okay, but can you tell me if he looks as good in person as he does in pictures." "Better," Eve muttered. "Jesus, really?" Mavis moaned and let herself fall onto the sofa. "I think I just had an orgasm." - Bloody hell, Roarke!! You give women orgasms just at the thought of you!! LOL" 39 comments
11/07/2010 page 139
45.0% "Had a busy day and can now get back to Roarke. Yeah!! ^_^ - '"Because you have something sad in your eyes. And it gets to me." While she was dealing with the surprise of that statement, he hauled her to her feet and toward the door.'" 5 comments
11/07/2010 page 185
60.0% ""Is he good? Stupid question," she said quickly. "You wouldn't have stayed otherwise. Wow, Eve, what got into you? Besides his incredibly energetic c**k?" ~ LMAO!!!! Well, that certainly put a smile on my face on a Monday morning! ^o^" 29 comments
11/09/2010 page 306
100.0% "I finally finished!! ^_^ Dang, all the falling asleep while reading! It's not that this was boring. Not at all. I'm just really tired from real life stuff. *yawns* Review... at some point." 2 comments

~♡♥♥♕♏46613♕♥♥♡~ Hoho, You'll drolling imagine Roarke...

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I sure am, ~♡♥♥♏46613♥♥♡~!! ^_^

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane Your welcome Jayne ;D I mean whom wouldn't want to wake up to yummy David/Roarke in the buff *grins*

Great Review!!

Quinn Great review, Jayne! We had very similar views on this - the futuristic elements, Eve and of course, the beautiful Mr. Gandy! I think I will need a "Rookie Groupie" badge, too!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Ah, it's my image suppliers! Thanks, Rane and Quinn!! ^_^

I just went to re-read your review Quinn and we do have similar thoughts on this book! I actually like watching sci-fi, though don't read sci-fi, but the futuristics elements in this book was just under-developed, wasn't it? I wonder if it improves with the later books. Because this book didn't quite have a futuristic feel to it.

Yes, Quinn, we are "Roarke Rookies" together! ^_^

Quinn Yes, very under-developed, Jayne. I was really wondering why she bothered. As you say, maybe it will develop further over the next 30+ books! Hopefully by the time we reach full "Groupie" status!

message 7: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Nov 14, 2010 08:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn, let me know when you plan to read Glory in Death, okay? Maybe we can read it around the same time again? So we can go through "Roarke Academy" together. ^_^

Quinn Sounds like fun, Jayne! Do you need to order it from the library?

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn wrote: "Sounds like fun, Jayne! Do you need to order it from the library?"

Yes, I've requested it already. Do you own a copy, Quinn?

Quinn I do, Jayne. I bought the first three in a set, but the rest will have to come from the library! I don't want to remortgage my house.

I'll be ready to go when you are.

Jasmin You couldn't blame me if I hate Eve. I want Roarke all for myself.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Quinn wrote: "I do, Jayne. I bought the first three in a set, but the rest will have to come from the library! I don't want to remortgage my house.

I'll be ready to go when you are."

Yay! *excited to do another "buddy read" with Quinn* Okay, Quinn, I'll let you know when I'm ready to read book 2!

LOL on needing to remortgage your house! Same here. I'm borrowing them all from the library. Considering all the other books I want to buy, I'm glad I can get these from the library.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jasmin wrote: "You couldn't blame me if I hate Eve. I want Roarke all for myself."

Jasmin, yes, I can completely understand you wanting Roarke all to yourself …*cough* and the million or so other "Groupies" *cough*. LOL What would Jamie say, though, hmm? ^_^

Jasmin Shhh. Dont tell. Don't ever tell him I'm also a Roarke groupie.

But Jamie has nothing to be insecure about. My body is entirely his. LOL! Though my mind wanders a bit. But he's definitely on the top of my list of men to die for. :P

message 15: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Awesome review, LJ. Love the "visuals", love your explanation why readers aren't thrilled with Eve (the Charlotte King reference helps explain it), loved your explanation of what makes Roarke so 'special'!
One day I will get around to reading this one...but the thought of almost 40 books in the series is really overwhelming. But I am very curious about GanRoarke!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* LOL, Jasmin! Ok, I don't "know" Jamie yet, but I promise I won't tell!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Auntee wrote: "Awesome review, LJ. Love the "visuals", love your explanation why readers aren't thrilled with Eve (the Charlotte King reference helps explain it), loved your explanation of what makes Roarke so '..."

Thanks, Auntee! David Gandy as a visual is always GOOD! ^_^ Yeah, Eve certainly made me think of Charlotte King. She was all prickly and tough, but deep down has a good heart and is afraid of getting close to someone. Don't be scared by the almost 40 books. Roarke is worth getting to know! ^_^

Nissie Great review,Jayne! As always the visuals are wonderful! I think the comparison to Charlotte King is spot on. I'm so glad you like Roarke as much as I'd hoped you would. :D

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Thanks, Nissie! I actually really love Charlotte in Private Practive. I just want to give her a tight hug but I know she'd smack me if I tried. LOL

Yes, I do love Roarke and look forward to spending more time with him!

Nissie LOL I like Charlotte,too. She talks like me. :P I think you might could get away with a hug. She seems to be getting more human as the show goes on. :)

message 21: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Nov 15, 2010 01:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I love how Charlotte talks! Now I know how to imagine how you "sound" when I read your posts, Nissie. ^_^

Yeah, I think I might be able to get away with a hug (before what happened recently), but she'd certainly stiffen, wince and then squirm, me thinks. LOL

Have you been watching Private Practice? Did you see what happened to Charlotte? I actually cried and really, really wanted to hug her then, but that definitely would NOT have been a good idea. She's so strong and tries so hard to be a tough cookie.

Nissie LOL! That's basically what I sound like. The tone is a little different, but the accent is the same.

Yeah, she would probably squirm a little. Like a kid who's embarrassed because his mother hugged him in public :P

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Nissie wrote: "I never miss it. It was horrible and she does try so hard. It has to be exhausting for her."

Me, too, but we have to download eps from US since they don't show it on TV here anymore. So, I'm usually a bit behind. Yes, I get exhausted just watching her. It takes so much energy putting on a brave, strong face all the time. That's why she was all prickly and "ice queen" in the beginning of the show. She didn't let herself feel.

Nissie I don't know if you've seen the latest episode,so I won't spoil anything for you, but I think she took a big step at the end of it.

It does indeed take a lot of energy. I speak from experience. :P

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Yes, I know from experience, too, with how much energy it took to showing a strong front after my brother passed away. So exhausting! Thanks for being so considerate. I think I'm behind by one episode.

Nissie I hope you get to see it soon. It's really good.

I'm so sorry about your brother.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I'll be watching it later this week. And thanks. I'm sorry that you know how exhausting it is from experience too. *hugs*

Nissie Thanks,Jayne. *hugs back*

message 29: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Wow, thank you to mention me, Lady Jayne ^^
I'm happy you enjoy Naked in Death, and welcome to Roarke's Groupies :D :D

And.......
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
David Gandy as Roarke????
Faint...... *lol*

Alyssa I've read (and listened too) every book in this series, including the shorts and I have to say this is my absolute fav series of all time. The futuristic references do get better as the story goes on, however, what I love is the growth of the characters throughout, especially Eve & Roarke. You're right about Eve, it's a defense mechanism and with each book you get a little more of her background - that story will blow you away & explain alot.

I guarantee that when you reach the end of the series, you'll be a full-fledged Roarke groupie :) For another great dose Gandy candy just check out my profile pic! So glad you've started this series & are enjoying it :)

message 31: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Great review, Jayne. I kind of envy you newbies who are only now discovering this fantastic series. I've been in love with Roarke for more than a decade now and he's never disappointed me... Well, he gave a scare in one of the books, but you're still far, far away from it. ;)

message 32: by Mrs. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mrs. Badass There isn't a character in the In Death series I don't like... that says a whole heck of a lot to me! I actually have always admired and loved Eve. Roarke too. I like the world too. You get used to it and sort of make up your own idea of what stuff means/is lol

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* @Ren: You were the first to recommend this series to me and speak so highly of Roarke, so of course I’d mention you! So you like David Gandy as Roarke? ^_^

@Alyssa: That’s good to know that the futuristic aspects get better. But I am usually more interested in characters and I’m looking forward to seeing Eve’s and Roarke’s growth. What I learned about Eve in this one already broke my heart, so learning more details? Wow. And thanks for referring me to the yummy Gandy Candy on your profile! Mmm…Mmmm… *^_^*

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* @Dina: You know, that’s how I feel about people reading Judith McNaught’s and Lisa Kleypas’ books for the first time. It makes me miss “the first time” and I feel like diving back into those books again. Wow, a decade? That’s great to hear that he doesn’t disappoint! Yes, I have MANY more opportunities to get to know Roarke more … intimately.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* @Erika: LOL! I like that! You make up your own idea of what stuff means. I was doing that in this book. The relationships of the characters are more important to me and I did enjoy this book. It’s just that the lack of feeling “in the future” world is jarring when I’m reading, because it feels like a contemporary book and then all of a sudden, there’s something that reminds me it’s the future. Does that make sense?

message 36: by Ren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ren Lady Jayne wrote: "@Ren: You were the first to recommend this series to me and speak so highly of Roarke, so of course I’d mention you! So you like David Gandy as Roarke? ^_^
"

Of course!! :D
I read In Death long time before I know David Gandy, so when I read, I always imagine Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Roarke (they're both Irish)..
But, when I look to David, I know, this man is suitable for Roarke ^^ (they're in same heights,just change David's eye color, I think, lol, and FYI, even Roarke mention he has a long hair, his hair is just above the shoulder :) )
Many friend of mine disagree with my choice, but in the end, we all agree, its difficult to choose any actors (or models) to portray him ^^

message 37: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Nov 18, 2010 03:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Ren, I can see why you imagined Jonathan Rhys Mayers as Roarke. BTW, David Gandy does have blue eyes, like Roarke.

[image error]

I just need to imagine him with longer hair. But I do SO like him with the short hair! ^_^

But yes, indeed-y, Roarke IS very difficult to "cast"! ^_^

Catherine Great review! I just finished this one and really enjoyed it as well. I didn't quite fall into insta-love with Roarke as most others did, but I liked him well enough. I actually kind of liked that the futuristic bits weren't harped upon. They all seemed to be presented in the same manner they would be to someone who was familiar with all the technology.

Widhy Pratiwie w0w. . .great review. . .and i like your imagination bout r0arke face. . . .very very deep hands0m. . . .

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Widhy wrote: "w0w. . .great review. . .and i like your imagination bout r0arke face. . . .very very deep hands0m. . . ."

Thanks, Widhy! Yes, David Gandy is certainly very good for the eyes. ^_^

message 41: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jan 15, 2011 12:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Catherine wrote: "Great review! I just finished this one and really enjoyed it as well. I didn't quite fall into insta-love with Roarke as most others did, but I liked him well enough. I actually kind of liked that the futuristic bits weren't harped upon. They all seemed to be presented in the same manner they would be to someone who was familiar with all the technology."

I just saw this comment! Thanks, Catherine. That's a good point, Catherine. I think if it was a 1st-person POV, I could perhaps accept the lack of detail more, as if the person is familiar with the technology, as you would expect the character to be. But this being written in the 3rd-person, I don't know, while I didn't want a ton of exposition and explanation on the futuristic gadgets, a bit more detail would have been better, for me. I just wasn't feeling like I actually was in the future for the entirety of the book.

Catherine I get what you mean. It definitely didn't have a strong futuristic feel. A little more detail could have been nice.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Have you read beyond this first one already? Quinn and I are planning to read Glory in Death next week.

Catherine No, not yet. I got the package of the next ones in though! When are you planning on reading it next week?

message 45: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jan 15, 2011 01:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Need to coordinate with Quinn and see where she's at with her books but last time we chatted we were just planning "next week". LOL You want to coordinate to read with us? My book is actually due back 1 Feb, so I just need to read it before then.

Catherine Well, my sister and nephew are coming in town Sunday and staying til Friday, so I'll be occupied those nights and won't be able to read much. You all don't have to wait for me though. I'll just catch up with your status updates when I get to that part.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Ok, no worries. Enjoy your time with your sister and nephew!

Catherine Thanks. :)

message 49: by Lyndi (new) - added it

Lyndi I'm reading this book just because you posted those images of David Gandy. Thanks ;)

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Lyndi wrote: "I'm reading this book just because you posted those images of David Gandy. Thanks ;)"

LOL! Well, I hope you enjoy the book, Lyndi! David Gandy makes a great Roarke. Heck, any dark-haired, blue-eyed, dangerously gorgeous hero. Enjoy! ^_^

« previous 1