Cathy 's Reviews > Holidays Are Hell

Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison

Kim Harrison's story was very good. I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it as much before I read Black Magic Sanction. Although it is clearly intended to be read first, I think I was more intrigued because of the references to the story made in the book (and Pierce being a main character in both). Either way, I think it's a good story that should be enjoyable to Rachel Morgan fans and newbies alike. I enjoyed getting insight into Rachel's past.

Lynday Sands' story was awful. I was disappointed because I like her modern vampire romances; they're funny and the characters are great. This was just a juvenile and generic story.

Marjorie M. Liu's story was terrific. I had dismissed her books because I thought she only wrote romances and despite my liking for Sands, I don't read many romances. (Not a genre sneer, they just make me grouchy these days.) But the story really made the anthology business work again, I'm a convert. It has a great premise, really lovely and yet strong writing, great characters, and the interesting Chinese perspective as an extra bonus. It ended a bit abruptly, but that's a short story staple. I'm glad to see that she also has an urban fantasy series and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I read a few pages of Petterrson's story, despite reviews warning that the elements wouldn't make much sense to people who haven't read the series. I decided not to finish it after reading a bunch of reviews of the Zodiac series, it just doesn't seem worth it right now. Maybe another time if I do decide to read the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays Are Hell.

05/26/2010 page 212
56.68% "I'm really liking this story by Marjorie M. Liu. Just the Chinese perspective alone draws me in. For example, the policewoman (govt agent?) thinks about taking the guy down, "She had strong bones, good technique." Strong bones is not a phrase a Western woman would use with pride." 1 comment
05/27/2010 page 272
72.73% "Interesting contrast. One older woman had her feet bound so she could marry rich and lost all, had to go to reeducation camp where her son died as well. 2 generations later is Six, total product of the system with no life of her own, a living weapon. "One day you and your kind will be as antiquated as my own generation. Relics. And no one will remember what was suffered.""

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user I was hoping you would review. Looks like I'll definitely be reading Liu then. I haven't heard very good things about Peterson either, unfortunately. Romance makes me grouchy too, but probably not for the same reason, LOL.