BeguileThySorrow...'s Reviews > Bayou Vol. 1

Bayou Vol. 1 by Jeremy Love

May 26, 10

bookshelves: adult-fiction, graphic-novel-comic, paranormal, favorites
Recommended for: found @ Zuda webcomics in 2007/2008
Read in May, 2010

As an adult, I rarely get excited about comics anymore. Either I love the artwork but hate the weak storyline, or love story but can't stand the lousy excuse for art accompanying it. Bayou by Jeremy Love ails from neither of these. It is one of the most beautifully illustrated stories I've ever seen, and has characters and plotlines that just get awesomely curiouser and curiouser!

I stumbled upon the site for Zuda Comics (an imprint of DC Comics) back around late 2007/early 2008 to find Bayou as a webcomic that was released bit by bit in a series of posts. However, I'm really not so good at patience or at visiting a site over and over again on a regular basis just to get one chapter of a story at a time. My brain really needs to have it all at once or I end up forgetting what happened before, then get confused where I am in the story. So I followed for a while but got distracted.
This year I realized that Bayou is now published and volume 1 came out in 2009 so I was able to snatch it right up. I love this crazy, almost mythical story set in 1933 Charon, Mississippi. It follows Lee Wagstaff, the daughter of a black sharecropper wrongly accused of a crime, and is uniquely written to feel magical, just like mythos of "the South". So check out the Zuda website and the webcomic Bayou at http://www.zudacomics.com/bayou or look for the print version in bookstores. I'm looking forward to getting volume 2 when it's finally released in January 11, 2011. It truly is an amazing piece of work!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bayou Vol. 1.