Dree's Reviews > The Map of True Places

The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry

May 24, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, 2011-reads, the-northeast
Read from May 16 to 23, 2011

I received this book through the goodreads first reads program. I admit it--I liked the cover. Then I got my copy. With a different cover. I thought "Uh oh."

Anyway. This is A Nice Book. The sort my mother would like. Actually, I will probably give her my copy. I suspect she will love it. No bad words, implied violence only, sex of the loving variety and not graphic, nice (if bland) characters. Yes, some are supposed to be Interesting Characters, but even they are bland.

For me? Meh. It was fast, it was enjoyable enough, and I think I will have completely forgotten the plot in a month. The book itself in 6, surely.

My biggest gripe? The horridly obvious over-the-top foreshadowing. (view spoiler) It reminded me of those textbooks in 7th grade where you read a story and then have to answer questions about foreshadowing that was so obvious it's almost impossible to answer the questions. Even the Big Twists are not twists by the time you get there.

I have no doubt some people will loooooove this book. I prefer to be a little more challenged.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Map of True Places.

05/17/2011 page 55