Erin's Reviews > Out of the Dust

Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse

F_50x66
May 28, 10

Read from May 26 to 28, 2010

This thoughtful book by Karen Hesse, written in free verse, explores a place that literature often forgets, the plains of America during the great depression. Although the novel is read very quickly it is strong in its content and descriptions of character, time, and place. Billie Jo was meant to be a boy and life from that moment on has been difficult for her only to be made worse by a tragic accident.
Billie Jo is inspired by music and finds hope within playing the piano. As time goes by and the horrible dust filled winds continue to blow Billie Jo shares more of her story with the reader and we hang on every word.
I really enjoyed this story and think it would be a great addition to any class, especially if you are studying the Great Depression.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Dust.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Al_anna Smunt I am such a huge fan of this book, not only because I learned so much about a part of my own country in the historical context of the Great Depression, but also because Hesse has such a beautiful way of describing such a sordid place and time. This is one that I'm definitely buying to add to my classroom library!