J. Travis Moger's Reviews > The Bridge of San Luis Rey

Sep 04, 2010

bookshelves: fiction
Read from August 19 to 20, 2010

** spoiler alert ** The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder****

“On Friday noon, July the twentieth, 1714, the finest bridge in all Peru broke and precipitated five travelers into the gulf below.” So begins Thorton Wilder’s classic novel, which explores the interrelated themes of divine justice and human love. “Theodicy” is the attempt to justify God’s actions to man, but no clear justice can be discerned in this “act of God.” A friar named Brother Juniper exhaustively investigates the lives of the five victims, confident he’ll find a cosmic reason for each untimely death. In the end he fails in his task and is burned as a heretic for his efforts. Questions about why bad things happen can be asked but not satisfactorily answered in this life; that’s a lesson as old as the Book of Job but still relevant today.

The moral of the story can be found in Wilder’s closing words: “But the love will have been enough; all those impulses of love return to the love that made them. Even memory is not necessary for love. There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning.” Whether its conclusion rings true for you (to me it sounds a bit trite, like “love conquers all”), the book takes the reader on a beautiful and thought-provoking journey without wasting time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bridge of San Luis Rey.

08/19/2010 page 75

Julie Davis I liked your comments but dearly wish you hadn't spoiled the end before I even picked up the book by stating Brother Juniper's end. Way to ruin the story ... aaargh.

J. Travis Moger Yikes. Julie, I'm so sorry I gave away the ending without fair warning. I've added a "spoiler alert" to the review. Thank you for letting me know about this.

Julie Davis Thank you for saving the future readers who want to save themselves from a fate worse than death! (You can see that I take my book reading a little too seriously!)

:-)