Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*'s Reviews > Prisoner

Prisoner by Megan Derr
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
2669008
** spoiler alert ** Prisoner takes place in three different locations and is told by at least seven different people. Also, let me forewarn you, unless you read this in pdf (or paperback or maybe kindle), you’re going to get confused with some parts. The reason I say this is because when I converted mine, it took out words in italics, breaks between pov changes, stuff like that. Another thing you should know, Prisoner is most definitely not a traditional romance. Yes, Dieter and Beraht end up together in the end but in no way do you even get a hint of a romance between them until a few chapters toward the end of the story. But that just gives this book more of an appeal to me.

A lot of stuff happens in Prisoner and could be a little overwhelming to some because you get detailed descriptions on three different cultures. I happen to absolutely love this book, and have read it three times, for a couple of reasons.

First, I love the fantasy aspect of the book (fantasy junkie, that's me!). You have the different world vibe with a magical feeling to it, with completely different cultures and I love that. This book also pushes every button I have when it comes to m/m. It has a little cruelty/abuse, a hostage/revenge situation, Stockholm syndrome, an opposites attract theme, some action, no smexing, and best of all an HEA. *sigh*

Now, I say cruelty/abuse lightly because it’s not as if Dieter beats Beraht at every chance, only when Beraht won’t shut up and pisses Dieter off too much but the bickering between the two is kind of cute and while the abuse may last the whole story, it’s sporadic, so it in no way dominates the book.

What I liked most about the story, though, was the little oddities like the Salharan obsession with names. They have a saying they live by: ‘Names are power. Power of life. Power of death. Do not give a name lightly. Do not take a name lightly. Do not share a name lightly. Do not speak a name lightly.’ To me, this gives the story more of uniqueness to it because of those little details. I also liked the Krian obsession with swords. They name their swords after the ones they love because they know they will die and when they do, they’ll die with the person they love beside them.

To me, it’s unbelievable cute because Dieter was the most infamous person in Kria and people feared him but he didn’t have a name for his sword. Until one day, when he’s training some Illussors and they ask him what the name of his sword is, he says ‘bright’. Beraht means ‘bright’ in Krian. Awwwww, isn’t that sweet?. Hehe.

So, to make a long story short. This is an awesome book. I’m hoping there’s a sequel, if not of Beraht and Dieter then set in the same world (which I think there is one). Some people might not like it for many reasons but my suggestion is to just try it. I loved it, some other people have loved it and you never know, you might love it, too. :-P

For major spoilers, go here.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prisoner.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

11/26/2010
54.0%
11/26/2010
54.0% "Just as good as I remember"

Comments (showing 1-50 of 263) (263 new)


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions but no bubbles safe on this one i see


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. I love my tags... Even though some of them are pointless. :D

I was trying to decide if it was bubbles safe or not cuz in the end, the mcs get together but before all that happens there's a lot of physical abuse going on.

It's one of my favorite books, though. I'm re-reading it now. ^_^


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions sounds so violent and cruel


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* It is at the beginning but after that there really isn't any of it. That's why I didn't put it as bubbles safe cuz I wasn't sure


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions is there any rape or anything? cheating?>


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* I dont think there's any smexing at all. I'll let you know though :-)


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions oh ok... that doesn't sound too bad... ugh why am i so sensitive


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. I think you might like this one. There's only a little cruelty but it's kinda switches between like 6 people so you might not. I'll write a review when im done


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions oh ok i will wait and see what you say


Bookwatcher Wow, a re-read kind of book?
I must check this one!


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Damn, that was the hardest review I ever wrote! I'm pooped now. I think I'm gonna take a nap ^_^


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions so long, so bubbles safe? (I didn't read it)


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions ok i read it... one day i might be brave enough to read this story


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. I think it's bubbles safe. It's hard to tell.. I'm going to put it anyway. Lol


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions yeah i am sure it is... i hate pdf's though


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Yeah. I do too cuz it screws the conversion up horribly. Unfortunately, I just realized it's out of print so no paperback or ebook. :-(

I hope it'll be republished through Megan's publisher Less Than Three. They have good books there.


Bookwatcher Nikyta wrote: "Damn, that was the hardest review I ever wrote! I'm pooped now. I think I'm gonna take a nap ^_^"

Very good indeed!!!


And LMAO ----->pooped and nap


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions Pooped and nap? why is that so funny?


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. *bows* thank you. :D


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions everyone poops


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. *sigh* I was trying to say I was tired. *shakes head* You two, I swear.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions lol i know right?


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lmao. What am I going to do with you, Bubbles? And, Camila? *sigh* Where's my whip when I need it?


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions you should never not know where your toys are at


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Yes, but I have a tendency to misplace them because I have so many naughty subordinates. *leers at Bubbles* Case in point, my sweet. :D


message 26: by Bubbles Hunty (last edited Nov 27, 2010 06:14PM) (new) - added it

Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions lol yeah just look at these comments and you will know how to keeo them in line A Change of TuneA Change of Tune by JM Cartwright

look t the comments under my review for what i mean


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* O.O

I love it when I can add things to my 'ideas for punishment' lists. Lmao

Now, where's my willing subject? *raises eyebrow*


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Marisa wrote: "lol"

Ohhhhh, are you volunteering, lovey?


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions LMAO yeah that is one lesson i would learn quick if that was the punishment.


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "LMAO yeah that is one lesson i would learn quick if that was the punishment."

Hehe, no doubt ^_^ Perfect punishment for a mistress to hand out.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions i would cry for years every night i wouldn't be able to sleep unless i was crying myself to sleep


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Aww, I'd cuddle you and make it all better, my sweet.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions it would all be your fault anyway do you really think i would trust you to cuddle me knowing what your fist could do?

LOL


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* *gasp* I'm wounded, bubbles! You wouldn't even let me touch you! *sniffle* I'm going to go cry in the corner, now, and you can come cuddle ME later! *huff*


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions after you fisted me as a punishment for forgetting to put the toilet seat down i think i would have some issues being touched yes. It wouldn't be you it would be me


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions Marisa has researched fisting a lot and saw a lot of it too. she is no longer a fan of it from what i understand.


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* O.O

Alright, fine. I'll find some other punishment to keep you two in line. Geez, the sacrifices I make! *throws hands up* jk jk

^_^

I think even I would be scarred for life from the affects of fisting


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions yeah especially if you didn't want it and were being punished. "So uh to the elbow this time, next time to the shoulder"


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* 'No, please, Master! I promise not to knock over the salt next time!'

Lmao. As you can tell, I'm still thinking about my superstitious salt mishap from early.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions what happened with salt? i think imissed that... i am not getting emails for these


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Oh, I haven't mentioned anything about it but I was making dinner and spilled the whole container of salt on my counter.

O.O

I'm very superstitious so I had to do a lot of fancy moves with the salt and shoulder then the little triangle thing (or is it a pentagram?). Whatever.

Now, I've been thinking about it (plus, my bro's been teasing me about it) so I'm waiting for my bad luck to happen. :-(


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions i asked about yout "bro" in another thread... very personal question i asked. stop spilling salt. just lick it up


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Lol. Lick salt off the counter? No way! There was like a good pint of that stuff spilled everywhere! I'd go into a salt-coma!

I've got butterfingers so it's hard not to spill things :-(

I can never wear white clothes because I drop things all the time.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions I can not wear white either. i tried to on Thanksgiving after a few minutes something read was all over, i still don't know what it was or where it came from


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Yes, I have the same problem. I wore white to colorado and something blue ended up on my shirt while I was in the airport. How? No fucking clue.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions that is funny... i wear a lot of black and dark now


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Yeah, that way you never know when you have a stain cuz you can't see it! Lol. I do the same.


Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions lol if you cant see it it is not there


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "lol if you cant see it it is not there"

Exactly! Finally someone understands! everyone else just thinks I'm sloppy


Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* Marisa wrote: "Bubbles (Dane) wrote: "Marisa has researched fisting a lot and saw a lot of it too. she is no longer a fan of it from what i understand."

You understood right ... I don't wanna ever see such a thi..."


Lol. What made you google it?


« previous 1 3 4 5 6
back to top