Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen's Reviews > Plague

Plague by Michael  Grant

Aug 23, 13

bookshelves: all-time-favourite
Read from April 12 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

It's been over two years since I last read this book, and re-reading it reignited my love for the series. Most kids would agree that they grew up with Harry Potter, but I guess I am a late bloomer because I didn't start really growing up until I picked up the GONE series.

The kids in the FAYZ have been beaten, starved, and lied to, all they need now is a plague to help them cough their lungs out. Perfect, don't you think? Every time I read a book in this series, I'm still amazed at the things Michael Grant writes. He isn't afraid to put controversial things down in his stories, and PLAGUE stayed true to that. The struggles these characters go through are much more than physical; it's not always about who can throw the farthest, or jump the highest. I think that's what a lot of books, particularly in YA, lacks. Other books are always about that one special character who can do things others can't; The Chosen One. Those books are the reason why I usually despise main characters; they just feel so unrealistic. Michael Grant, on the other hand, appears to put Sam in the hero spot during the two earlier books, but as the series progresses on, the readers realize he is not invincible anymore. Instead, other characters like Edilio, Jack, and my personal favourite, Albert, begins to outshine Sam. That's probably what I enjoyed the most in this book - the depth of the "secondary characters."

Another thing I really loved about this book was how everything was so interwoven. Plots that appeared separate slowly converged and become one. It made this book unpredictable. Even when there are so many post-apocalyptic books out there, this book remained fresh and unconventional. That in itself deserves 5 stars. (And I still cannot believe Michael Grant doesn't plan out his books in advance. Like what?! What kind of sorcery is this?!)

Two characters impressed me the most in this book. One won't be a surprise. I loved her ever since GONE because I knew her story would never be dull. Who am I talking about? Only the most intricate, more-layers-than-a-wedding-cake Diana. She has always shown to be one step ahead of most people in the previous books, but she has never appeared as brave to me. Until PLAGUE rolled along, that is. I seriously cannot wait to read her storyline in FEAR!

The other character is Charles Merriman, better known as Orc. While reading this book, I genuinely felt bad for Orc. For some reason, I kind of related him to a 90 year old grandpa who is on the verge of dying. You know, when your body slowly breaks down, and you want nothing more but to end it? On top of that, Orc felt isolated, misunderstood and a burden to everyone. To me, his story is as sad as that scene in Up. You know the scene I am talking about. It doesn't have the same backstory to it, but the feeling I got was still the same. I so desperately wanted to help Carl and Ellie but deep down, I knew it was a cartoon and I can't do anything. Same thing happened with Orc, and I felt a deep sadness and helplessness.

If you provide me with water and food, I think I can go on for days, just talking about all the things I loved about this book. But alas, life can't be perfect. I would like to conclude by saying: this book, like the rest of the series, has great re-read potential. This is simply due to the amount of details and number of plotlines thrown within this book. There is no way someone can remember it all with just one read-through. The only other time I've seen so much attention of details and connectivity is in the Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima. When you sit back and think about it, a YA, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic book has enough world, plot and character development as an epic fantasy book, you know that's high quality reading right there.

This has been an updated review of this book. For my previous review placeholder, please look within the Spoiler tag.

(view spoiler)
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plague.

Quotes Stella Liked

Michael  Grant
“The gaiaphage. That's the other word they use. 'Gaia,' as in world. 'Phage,' as in a worm or something that eats something up. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say I don't think something that calls itself a 'world eater' is a good thing.”

Michael  Grant
“Yeah. A feeling. Like the whole point of my life from the alleys in Bangkok to the yachts and private island to coming here like a crazy person trying to fly a helicopter like all of it from birth to here point A to point Z was all some big cosmic trick to get me to meet you. - Sanjit to Lana”

Michael  Grant
“No," Lana said, "I'm not going to heal your scratch."
"Good," Sanjit said.
"Good? Why good?"
"Because when you hold my hand, I don't want it to be work for you.”

Michael  Grant
“I like your boyfriend," Dahra said. "Not many guys volunteer to carry ten gallons of diarrhea and vomit."
Lana laughed. "He's not my boyfriend."
"Yeah, well, he can be mine if he wants to be. He's cute. And he carries crap.”

Michael  Grant
“Caine met Diana's disbelieving gaze and laughed aloud.
"Why so gloomy? Doesn't every little girl want to grow up to be a queen?"
"Princess," Diana said.
"So, you got a promotion," Caine said.”

04/12/2011 page 44
9.0% "OH MY GAIAPHAGE! I HAVE IT! I HAVE IT."
04/13/2011 page 112
23.0% "Two words: grotesque and disturbing. Two extra word: love it!"
08/24/2011 page 216
43.0% "This is the second time I am reading this. It's amazing."
08/11/2013 marked as: currently-reading
08/11/2013 page 1
0.0% "Alright. Time to re-read this so I can actually read FEAR and LIGHT." 6 comments
08/17/2013 page 155
31.0% "I can never get tired of Edilio."
08/19/2013 page 246
49.0% "The point of re-reading PLAGUE was to refresh my memory, but this quote never escaped my mind in the first place. Thanks Sanjit.

"Well, you farted once. But mostly you talk in your sleep [...] And the fart was genteel. Like: poot-poot! Almost musical.""
08/20/2013 page 368
74.0% "This book deserves a proper review. Okay, it's decided. I am actually going to write a proper review this time. But "proper" is used loosely here because you know, fangirl."
08/23/2013 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-18)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Vicky N. oh my gaiaphage = new favorite phrase!

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Hahah ;)
I had so many GONE jokes that I made up. I have completely forgotten them.

Vicky N. Stella ☢FAYZ☢ wrote: "Hahah ;)
I had so many GONE jokes that I made up. I have completely forgotten them."

You HAVE to write them down & share it with us for our amusement.

:D

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen One of them I remember because it was extremely cheesy and not really funny.

Me: Guys let's play duck, duck, goose!
Friends: OKAY!
Me: Duck, duck, duck, DUCK ZHANG! *Begins to run-
Friends: O______O What?!!

That actually happened to me and my friends were not very impressed....:P

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Mom: So I heard you skipped class today to go study for that biology test. Plus I heard you are failing your English class?
Me: No. Those are LIES, Mom. I went to the bookstore to satisfy my HUNGER for GONE....:P

Vicky N. Stella ☢FAYZ☢ wrote: "One of them I remember because it was extremely cheesy and not really funny.

Me: Guys let's play duck, duck, goose!
Friends: OKAY!
Me: Duck, duck, duck, DUCK ZHANG! *Begins to run-
Friends: O_____..."

Hahaha I can practically imagine your friend's expression, hilarious!

Vicky N. Stella ☢FAYZ☢ wrote: "Mom: So I heard you skipped class today to go study for that biology test. Plus I heard you are failing your English class?
Me: No. Those are LIES, Mom. I went to the bookstore to satisfy my HUNGER..."

That's the best freaking answer of all times! lol And those are just two of your phrases I can imagine wht the rest must be like.

Justin Stella ☢FAYZ☢ wrote: "Mom: So I heard you skipped class today to go study for that biology test. Plus I heard you are failing your English class?
Me: No. Those are LIES, Mom. I went to the bookstore to satisfy my HUNGER..."

LOL! Make one for the other ones. XD

Justin DUCK DUCK DUCK DUCK ZHANG! XD

Poor poor Duck... ;;

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Justin wrote: "DUCK DUCK DUCK DUCK ZHANG! XD

Poor poor Duck... ;;"

I gotta admit, it was one of my brighter moments. ;)

Justin ITS ABOUT TIME GURL
*snaps*

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Justin wrote: "ITS ABOUT TIME GURL
*snaps*"

*runs like The Breeze*
You missed.

Justin I shall bring you tissues when you read LIGHT. From this review, I know you WILL BAWL LIKE A BABY.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Justin wrote: "I shall bring you tissues when you read LIGHT. From this review, I know you WILL BAWL LIKE A BABY."

THANK YOU JUSTIN. I'M YELLING RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I KNOW IF I DON'T, THE FLOODGATES WILL OPEN.
No seriously, I'm scared. I don't want this series to end.

Justin No but I mean like Orc

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen NO. SHUT YER MOUTH. Did you just spoiled Orc's story for me? I'm never talking to you again.

Justin HEY. I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING. I JUST SAID ORC