'trie's Reviews > D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri d'Aulaire

Dec 16, 07

bookshelves: kids-books
Read in January, 1983

This is the very first book I remember reading all by my little self when I was three and I have read it a million more times. My copy is old (stolen from my elder brother, in fact; it was his first), taped back together, missing it's covers, and extremely well-loved. It has inspired a lifelong fascination with mythology and the ancient world and probably played a large part in my obsessive need to learn everything about everything--not that that's possibly, but it's fun to try. The stories have been dialed back a bit for bitlets, but the stories still hold true to the original intentions, in my opinion. The illustrations might not be fine art prints, but they are lovely when you're small and don't diminish as one ages. Go, find a copy, and read this. Read about Persephone eating pomegranate seeds, Eos forgetting to ask for eternal youth for her love, Selene learning from her sisters mistake and keeping Edmynion held in eternal sleep, Hephestus and his robots, and Hermes' childhood antics. You won't regret it and you might want to continue to want to read more and more about Greek mythology.
20 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths.

Trish Morck I LOVE Greek Mythology. It's like, sooo confusing but easy to follow at the same time. When I read it I was like OH.MY.GOD. I cannot believe the CARAZINESS of these myths.:)

Michaela I love your review!!! I had to read the book for my Latin class and now I love it!!!