Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)'s Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

May 26, 2010

bookshelves: favorite, own
Recommended to Patricia by: EVERYONE
read count: 1

Once I saw the movie previews I went right out and bought this book - - I could not put this book down; it would have been read in one sitting if I did not have to work at the time. Audrey Niffenegger has been added to one of my favorite authors. Before I go into further detail, I recommend that when you begin to read this book you have a box of tissues handy - not because it is sad (which it is at points), but also because you will be crying happy tears as well.

To tell the story of this amazing relationship, Niffenegger uses both of the characters', Henry DeTamble & Clare Absher, points of views. Henry, a librarian at the Newberry Library, has a problem - he time travels. Now before you start to think that this is a SyFy book, it is not. From a very young age, Henry has had this "problem"; at least he saw it as a problem until he met Clare. Clare, an art student, has known Henry pretty much all her life, meeting him as a very young girl while he was traveling back in time. You know it is fate that these two people need be together the moment you discover that Henry cannot control where and when he travels, but is drawn to places as and people as if they were magnets. Even Henry cannot help but think that when they kiss it is "a kiss born of long association."

By 'plugging' in Henry's travels, Niffengger presents their relationship from beginning to the end, allowing the readers to watch how they grow together and apart. Outside of Henry's time traveling, this story is very real and raw - Clare and Henry are just a normal couple who happen to be dealing with a very abnormal aspect of their life and relationship: they fight and argue, kiss and make up; they have hopes and dreams just like any other normal couple.

While writing in the world of a SyFy concept, Audrey Niffenegger's keen sense of character development and description help make these characters real. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys real life situation and people with a twist, or just a good romance.