Patricia (Patricia's Particularity)'s Reviews > The Awakening / The Struggle

The Awakening / The Struggle by L.J. Smith

May 26, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, own

The Awakening
The Vampire Diaries' first installment introduces the main characters and the main plot. Elena is the queen bee of the school - she can have any boy and do pretty much anything she wants. However, she is not the same Elena she used to be since her parents have died. While Elena struggles with this her best friends are there to support her. Then Stefan arrives in Mystic Falls... While Elena is with Matt she cannot help but be "attracted" to Stefan and puts her energy into getting him.

Elena's character is at first very annoying. She is stuck up, a snob, and overall self-concerned. However, this is done on purpose... or so I believe. Within the first installment you start to see Elena as caring and understanding - there is more to her than her "social" appearance.

Elena finds out that Stefan is a Vampire while people are attacked in her town. Then comes the love triangle with Damon's arrival. The brothers are completely opposite of eachother.... Stefan is mysterious in a brooding way. He clearly harbors guilt and sadness about his past but just wants to start a new life. Damon is evil. Simple as that. He has no thought for others and is only out for himself. What does Damon want....? He wants Elena all for himself, he want her to be his Dark Queen.

The Struggle
The Struggle picks up right where The Awakening leaves off. The love triangle only thickens in the second installment of the Vampire Diaries. Elena loves Stefan. However, there are clearly "moments" between her and Damon... Meanwhile the search for the person responsible for the attacks in town is still underway. At first everyone believes that it is Damon's doing - why not? He's evil and dangerous... However, they soon learn it is someone from Stefan's and Damon's past - someone that is more evil and dangerous than Damon. Someone who threatens Elena herself.... (I know we all know who it is but just in case I won't say).

The first volume of the Vampire Diaries series is a very fast read. The writing style is simple and engaging, following a very tight and concise plot and timeline. While Elena's and Stefan's relationship started a little bit too quickly for me, their relationship becomes more rounded throughout the books. Overall, I really enjoyed the first volume!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening / The Struggle.