Ally's Reviews > Touch of Darkness

Touch of Darkness by Christina Dodd

Jun 02, 10

bookshelves: 2010, ebook
Read on May 28, 2010, read count: 1

This is the second book in the Darkness Chosen series featuring Rurik Wilder and Tasya Hunnicutt.

Rurik Wilder is an archaeologist on a dig in Scotland hoping to find the second part of the four Madonna Icons that will free the Varinski's and his family from the pact with the devil and stop his father from dying. Rurik also holds the power to transform himself into a fierce bird of prey, a Hawk. Rurik is madly in love with Tasya Hunnicutt, a woman sent from the people funding the dig. He got her into his bed one night and she’s being running from him ever since. But Tasya has a secret of her own, she’s determined to wreak revenge on the Varinski assassins who murdered her family. Assassins, it's been rumoured, who have powers no human should ever possess.

I enjoyed the first book Scent of Darkness and was expecting something similar with Touch of Darkness, sadly I was disappointed reading this one. I really thought there would be more to it, it is filled with more action and adventure but the chemistry between Rurik and Tasya is really off. Tasya is too busy running scared from Rurik and trying to taken down the Varinski assassins that are still free doing there evil business.

I really didn’t like Tasya as the heroine in Touch of Darkness as she’s too busy trying to do anything else than be with Rurik. She also spends a lot of the story denying her feelings for Rurik and going around and around. Never mind Rurik being frustrated, I wanted to kick Tasya’s ass! It’s only towards the end of the book and the sacrifices Rurik makes that she comes to her senses and realises she loves him!

Rurik is a great hero but he got on my nervous a bit too with his own secret fear of flying and his need to have Tasya. But overall he was a great hero trying to win Tasya’s love but lying to her and trying to save his family, mainly his father from the pact with the devil.

Also as a warning don’t read this as a stand alone book because it won’t flow well at all. It really fits as part of the series so read Scent of Darkness first!

I still have great expectations and great hope for the third and the fourth books of this series and I’ve heard good things about both books so I’m really looking forward to reading them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touch of Darkness.