Beth's Reviews > Every Day in Tuscany: Seasons of an Italian Life

Every Day in Tuscany by Frances Mayes

May 26, 2010

liked it

Ups and downs with this one...too much museum type stuff for me, but her prose is still compelling, such as:

At a Tuscan funeral..."From my vantage, only her gray nose was visible above the side of the coffin, a little sail setting out for the afterlife." A little morbid, but wow!

and

of course, food related, "This dish recalled the contadini, who always used what they had. It tasted as though it had been prepared with a ladle of time added to the pot." I love that!

Recipes included, I was drawn to her love of Tuscany and her people and the way she expressed her deep longing, and I loved her storied about her American 6 year old grandson and his adventures in Tuscany.

Okay, 3 and 1/2*, although I labored through parts of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day in Tuscany.

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam I agree w/you on this one ,too much rambling BUT still a good read!I loved & still in love w/"Under The Tuscan Sun",my theme for my Birthday Party in May.Loved all the Italian food w/ the exception of Summer Truffles & the Olive oil Tastings_which included Truffle Oil..not a fan.BUT,loved the in-home Wine tasting by a representive from CandoniWines Italy..awesome stuff!Think I'll read her book cld."Swan"next to see how she writes in a different style.Your comment was right on...~namaste~