Jasmin's Reviews > The Darkest Night

The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter

Jul 02, 10

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, mythology, adult, reviewed-by-me
Recommended for: Paranormal Romance fans
Read on July 02, 2010

All of us has our own demons. No one is an exception. But rather for the Lords of the Underworld, they literally have real life demons housed inside them.

Initially, they were soldiers built by the Greek gods. However, when a woman was assigned by the gods to guard a box, the lords were overlooked and their pride more than scratched, so they retaliated. They took the box and unleashed all the evil it harbors, hoping they could manage to put the demons back in to prove their worth. However, they couldn't since the box went missing, so the Greek gods punished them and made them each house a demon.

Maddox, the lord who housed violence, couldn't control it. Violence took over him and killed the guardian of the box, Pandora. After the deed was done, he remained slightly in the shadows, still emerging once in a while to inflict violence on others, and left Maddox to take the blame. The gods punished Maddox further by making him die every night, the same way Pandora suffered under his hand, only to wake up in the morning and feel torment for having to endure the blasted ordeal again.

Ashling, a mere mortal, had demons of her own. She hears endless voices of the past. Haunting her and making her loose herself. However, she heard of the "angels" living in Budapest. She decides to find them and ask them to free or help her from her curse. But as she meets Maddox, she finally gains peace, for the voices stop when she is with them.

Peace isn't entirely one sided though. Maddox is quite able to subdue violence in Ashling's presence. But along the growing peace, lust and love also grow in a much accelerated pace.

First 3/4 of the book, I would have given 5 stars. Mythology has always been something to interest me. Not to mention handsome covers do the same to me as well. This book is good, a real hooker. The plot was exceptional and most of all, different. However, lack of star is due to two reasons: (1) the two or one-word sentences in the sex scenes disturbed me. It sounded much like baby talk in the middle of passion, like Mama. Milk. Now. (2) the ending was too happy for me, like it was forced out, just to have a happy ending. Dont get me wrong, I'm a sucker for happy endings, but for me, it doesn't work in this book. Gods literally had to intervene for a happy ending on this one. But still despite my two complaints, I could say I enjoyed the series immensely and it would be my life's mission to finish the series off. ♥

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Great review, Jasmin. This is one series I've been planning to start for years, but there's something holding me back. Can't figure out what, though.

Jasmin Thanks Dina. Its actually a good series. Maybe it's other books holding you back? I hope you could get past what and try this off :)

message 3: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Probably, Jasmin. So many books, so little time. LOL

Jasmin Haha, I have to agree. In fact, i've been missing my jogging sessions because of books. Plus sleep. Sometimes I wish i could all quit work and just read books into oblivion. :))