Elizabeth's Reviews > Imperial Bedrooms

Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis

May 25, 10

bookshelves: los-angeles, fiction, california
Read from May 24 to 25, 2010, read count: 1

I read this right on the heels of finishing Less than Zero. I can't read any more of these books--I don't enjoy them. I'd rather be reading Jane Austen; social satire without scenes of violence and torture.

If you are an Ellis fan, you'll probably be satisfied with this book though.

Halfway through the book, I decided that I liked Imperial Bedrooms better than Less than Zero, mostly because the plot seemed tighter and there are some beautiful turns of phrase. The final 30 pages or so reversed that opinion. I think I was looking for something more surprising. Or sadder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imperial Bedrooms.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 6: by John (new)

John Elizabeth, I'll second that emotion. His much-talked about AMERICAN PSYCHO is the merest cardboard, & utterly w/out imagination (Oh really, folks in finance are shallow & venal, & capitalism encourages them to be so? You're kidding!)

Elizabeth I'm glad to hear that! I feel a bit guilty that I didn't appreciate his books more. But the violence is just too much. "Bleak" is the word I'd probably use to describe his works.

message 4: by Louise (new)

Louise The book cover looks like a Jamiroquai album cover: http://sp7.fotolog.com/photo/55/38/74...

Elizabeth Ha! On the inside of the arc it says that the cover is a reworked version of a Hungarian design from the 1600s.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate I'm with you on Austen, but before you give up on him completely you should give The Rules of Attraction a try. It's the only one of his books that I've read so far, and the characters are horrible, but it's still appealing, in that train wreck kind of way. I liked the confusion of the different view points. It was hard to tell whether characters were just lying or day dreaming. Plus there is an entire chapter in French, which I found very funny despite barely being able to understand it.

message 1: by Rtyndall40 (new)

Rtyndall40 Thank goodness there are others out there! I completely agree. I was turned off by AMERICAN PSYCHO and just couldn't get past the detached violence to care to read anything else by Ellis. It seemed like the gore was there to elevate the value of the work. I felt I had better things to do with my brain.