Michele's Reviews > Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

Jun 20, 10

bookshelves: book-club
Read from June 12 to 14, 2010

I really enjoyed this story. It was heartbreaking to see how the Japanese and Chinese, whether born Americans or not, were treated by white Americans during WW II. It's unfortunately expected that kids can be very cruel, but adults should "know better". Two scenes that stick out in my mind - the Japanese-American couples arrested at the jazz club and the store clerk who acted like Keiko didn't exist when she tried to buy a record. I didn't know much about the Japanese concentration camps so found it interesting from a historical perspective to learn more about it. I enjoyed reading the flashbacks about Henry and Keiko; very sweet and innocent yet seeing much more than kids their age should have to see. I liked the exploration of father-son dynamics and cultural differences between Henry and his father and between Henry and Marty. The Bitter and Sweet in the title is very appropriate for this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.