Sarah's Reviews > Wish You Were Dead

Wish You Were Dead by Todd Strasser

F_50x66
May 25, 10

Ugh, I did not enjoy this book. The premise of the story was interesting and had potential, but I felt the characters were flat, stereotypical, and I really didn't feel empathy for them at all! However, I thought it might catch the attention of reluctant readers, so I booktalked it at our winter booktalks. Lo and behold, it has been checked out ever since!

Here's my booktalk:

Str-S-d Blog Entry #1 (Pg 1)

“Today at school Lucy Cunningham looked at me like I was something the cat coughed up. I don’t have to explain who Lucy is. You already know, because there’s only one kind of girl who would look at anyone that way. I’m going to be completely honest here because this is my new blog, so what’s the point of pretending? So here goes. It really hurts when Lucy looks at me that way. But here’s what hurts even more. Sometimes when people look at me that way, I feel like maybe they’re right.”

(Pg 5)

Str-S-d #5

“I”ll begin with Lucy. She is definitely first on the list. You can’t believe how it feels to be in the cafeteria and turn around and there she is staring at me like I’m some disgusting bug or vermin. Does she really think I WANT to be this way? I hate you, Lucy. I really hate you. You are my #1 pick. I wish you were dead.”

The day after anonymous blogger Str-S-d wishes Lucy would die, Lucy vanishes. Madison is wracked with guilt—because she was the last to see Lucy the night she disappeared.

Two more popular students disappear after their names are mentioned in the blog, including Madison’s best friend Adam. The students at Soundview High are nervous and rumors start to fly. Who’s behind the attacks? Madison starts to receive anonymous messages that warn her she could be next. Madison, with the help of Tyler, a mysterious new boy at school, races against time to try to piece together the evidence before her name appears in Str-S-d’s blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wish You Were Dead.