Alleluialu's Reviews > Fortunata and Jacinta: Two Stories of Married Women

Fortunata and Jacinta by Benito Pérez Galdós

Dec 25, 10

bookshelves: my-book-club, historical
Read from May 25 to December 25, 2010

Although it took me one year to read the entire 818 pages, I really did enjoy it and I FINISHED IT TODAY! This giant book is the story of two women who were in love with the same man (a cad, by the way). The characters were memorable for their antics and their personalities. From "the saint" who went around helping all kinds of people, collecting money and articles from merchants and builders to construct her orphanage, to Maximilliano who went through many different personality disorders. The one thing that confused me was the use of different names for the same person. I figured it out eventually, but initially it made the storyline a little hard to follow. If you are looking for a book describing life in Spain in the 1870's, this is it. It is one of the greatest Spanish novels of the nineteenth century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fortunata and Jacinta.

05/25/2010 page 94
11.49% "At the door, where Placido was already waiting for her, she said, "Let's go see them.""
05/25/2010 page 96
11.74% "Guillermina, Virgin and Founder"
05/26/2010 page 105
12.84% ""If you can squeeze twenty duros out of him, that'll do.""
06/14/2010 page 130
15.0% "I found out about Pitusin!" 1 comment
06/27/2010 page 148
17.0% "Sometimes it's confusing when the same character is called by several different names." 2 comments
06/28/2010 page 157
19.0% "Jacinta is visiting Izquierdo."
show 21 hidden updates…