Kathleen Houlihan's Reviews > Woods Runner

Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen

Aug 03, 10

liked it
Read from May 25 to July 25, 2010

I read this as a historical fiction candidate for our library's Mock Printz awards, and while I thought it was a very interesting and quick read, I found the brevity of it didn't give me enough time to process what was happening in the story to the characters.

The primary character encounters so much horror in such a short amount of time -- which is believable -- but that this young boy is able to carry on with such luck and success, and without having a breakdown of any sort does stretch the limits of believability. I also didn't feel the fear I expected from a character so young, left alone in the world.

I loved his relationship with the orphaned girl who becomes his companion, and her story was heartbreaking in a completely different way.

I loved the historical passages placed before each chapter... I thought they helped me with historical details I might have missed, but it also meant that you were prepared for upcoming horrors, (like the Hessians) so that softened the blow so it didn't come as such a shock.

Ultimately, I think that younger teens will love this book, especially those reluctant readers. It's very fast paced, and a very quick and rewarding read... with just enough blood to be realistic, but not over the top gory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Woods Runner.