Rebecca's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

3782088
May 26, 10

** spoiler alert ** I enjoyed this book but I had a few qualms with it.

For one thing I love Henry- he was such a fun character, and I loved how versatile he is- speaks german and french, loves literature, loves punk music and is a librarian. The odds of this happening are slim but, then again, so is time traveling.

He had a lot of problems with him but he had an interesting mind to listen to, plus he got over his problems-kinda.

I also liked the connection between Henry and Clare. There is a sweetness about them and how strong Henry's love for Clare is..

What I didn't like was how the author made the story cheap at the end.
Clare is supposed to be completely devout to Henry but she hooks up with Gomez within months of Henry's death- in fact, i didn't enjoy Gomez's infidelity either.

I took Clare's infidelity as an insult because if Henry is not 'continuously dead' and is alive in some point in time- why would she be with Gomez.

That part ruined the book for me.

As well, the fact that Henry told Clare he would see her in the future completely destroys the purpose of him telling her NOT to wait for him.

And the plausibility of Henry keeping his job at the Newbery would have made more sense if he had told his colleagues earlier about his time traveling.

Overall, if you ignore certain things- it is a very good story.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

Audrey Niffenegger
“Don't you think it's better to be extremely happy for a short while, even if you lose it, than to be just okay for your whole life?”
Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife

Audrey Niffenegger
“Time is priceless, but it’s Free. You can't own it, you can use it. You can spend it. But you can't keep it. Once you've lost it you can never get it back.”
Audrey Niffenegger, The Time Traveler's Wife