Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com's Reviews > Gates of Fire: An Epic Novel of the Battle of Thermopylae

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield

I like this book, the style is sharp, the story vivid, the history pretty accurate, and the moral dilemmas are still relevant in today's military units.
I loved to read about the problems facing the Spartan King and his army commanders, the soldiers and their servants. The books is a fictional account of those who are about to die, know it, and still go forward contemplating life's big mysteries and gaining appreciation for their comrades, and those they left behind.

The problem I had with this book is that it seems as if the author was testing my knowledge in both English grammar, and Greek pronunciation of personal names. I have no problems at all with geography, or the English language, and I love history, but it seemed to take away from the story, and becomes a burden after a while.

If you are, or were in a close knit combat unit, this book will bring back memories. If you were not, but ever wandered what makes the men click, this one is for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gates of Fire.