Gina's Reviews > The Forgotten Garden

The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Jun 20, 10

bookshelves: 2010, abandoned
Read in June, 2010

I added this book to my reading pile based on all the really good reviews. I'd also just re-read The Secret Garden, which this book apparently alludes to a bit and I was hoping for another Thirteenth Tale/Jane Eyre situation. No such luck.

I really enjoy experiencing the ways that different authors use language and I'm always amazed at what a really good writer can do with handful of carefully chosen words. It's one of the reasons I love to read, so when I come across clunky writing it's really distracting. This was one of those cases. The writing isn't bad, exactly, but I had so many cringe moments in the first fifty or sixty pages that I was spending more time wishing for a red pen than thinking about the story itself. A couple of times I thought this might be a young adult novel (not that that would be an excuse for poor writing), but then I'd come across a word like "insouciance". I ditch a fair number of books--sometimes with relish, sometimes just with relief. In this case I was mostly relieved. I was eating lunch and suddenly remembered that I had a magazine in my purse I could look at instead.

The characters (based on my sixty pages, which I think should be enough time for some development) were a little flat and dull. I have no problem with unlikeable characters, but I do have a problem when I can't muster up any sort of feeling toward them. The dialogue between the main character (whose name I have already forgotten) and her grandmother Nell was so corny that it was painful to read.

I don't think this a terrible book. Clearly lots of people love it, but it was definitely not my thing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Garden.