Julie's Reviews > In This Way I Was Saved

In This Way I Was Saved by Brian DeLeeuw

Jun 03, 10

bookshelves: own, vine, fiction
Read in June, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

While mental illness was definitely at the core of this book, there was also a sinister ghostly aspect to this novel that permeated throughout. Luke's relationship with Daniel, beginning at the tender age of 6, is never fully revealed, but there are multiple histories buried within the plot that lead me to speculate Daniel was more than just Luke's imaginary friend. Luke's coping mechanisms for dealing with his parent's divorce are skewed by his mother Claire's metal illness and her erratic personality constantly impedes Luke's development as an individual. Where Daniel fits into all that is originally as that of a much needed companion, but as Luke becomes more independent, especially in college, no longer under the oppressive eye of Claire, Daniel's influence leads Luke to more destructive behavior. With the final culmination comes a dynamic collision between Luke and Daniel that will leave readers guessing as to the true nature of their existence.

When I first started reading, I picked up the on premise relatively quickly, drawn in by the bleak landscape and tense atmosphere. But it was a little too rigid and uptight at times, and I was frustrated with Claire's desperation and Luke's indifference and inaction. Though I was not fully engaged during the entire duration, the creepiness and the desire to read the final showdown kept me engaged.

I received a complimentary copy of this book via the Amazon Vine Program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In This Way I Was Saved.