Julie's Reviews > The Sign

The Sign by Raymond Khoury

Sep 22, 10

bookshelves: own, fiction
Read in June, 2009 — I own a copy

It appears that Khoury took the advice from my review of The Sanctuary and wasn’t constantly repeating and interrupting himself. The Sign was a much cleaner narrative. However, this novel seemed to be a vehicle for his political ideals. When the mysterious sign appears it challenges the world’s religious beliefs, when it’s really a device to rally the planet against right-wing conservatives. Without mentioning names, Khoury bashes George W. Bush’s presidency and heaves a sigh of relief upon the election of a liberal. Global warming and the economy’s downturn obscure his characters’ motives, while the underlying theme is to disgrace religion and it’s power over the masses. It’s purely a science versus faith issue, but I don’t think it was delivered well. I liked many of the characters, namely the spit-fire reporter Gracie and the innocent pawn Father Jerome, but the whole plot seemed like Khoury’s personal quarrel with religion and conservatism.

Overall, the book just didn’t come together. I wouldn’t call it a thriller because it wasn’t thrilling. Neither the plot nor the characters captivated me. I feel that Khoury’s initial success with The Last Templar took a nosedive upon publication of his subsequent books due to sub-par writing and stories that just aren’t engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sign.