Janina's Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: death-loss-grief, music, covers-i-love, contemporary, favourite-characters, read-in-2011, made-me-cry, unputdownable, best-of-2011, on-my-shelf, male-pov, older-ya-vibe, one-night-only, for-review, young-adult-fiction, the-rich-and-the-famous
Recommended for: fans of The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
Read on March 26, 2011

What a ride! Where She Went definitely was one of those books for me. One that had me glued to the pages and forgetting everything around me. One that had me gulping down the whole story in only a few hours, reading as fast as possible (maybe even too fast) to find out if my beloved characters would get the ending they hoped for. One that left me glassy-eyed and exhausted, but feeling that this book gave me something more than just a few hours of fun – it gave me a story that will stay with me and that I will come back to eventually.

I think this is one of the rare cases where I’d actually say that I liked the sequel better than the first book. I loved If I Stay, and it was a story that stayed on my mind for a long time, but it failed to provoke the emotions in me that Adam’s story did. In Where She Went, Gayle Forman succeeded in making me feel Adam’s hurt and pain, his loss, his anger and rage. She had me sitting in front of my laptop, sobbing like there was no tomorrow, over Adam’s broken heart and his bitter loneliness. I can’t even pinpoint why. Why did this guy’s misery touch me so much more than Mia losing her family, having to choose between life and death? I mean, I know I am into tortured musicians à la Thomas Mackee, but can that really be the reason? And doesn’t that make me terribly shallow? I am not sure, but I hope not ;).

Again, I have to say that I love the format of this book. How the story actually only covers two or three days, but manages to be so much more by including memories from back then, from happier but also sadder times. It made the characters feel so much more authentic and complex. Also (view spoiler) I am grateful that Gayle Forman didn’t tie this story with a pretty little bow. It somehow goes with one of my favourite quotes: "Stories never really end...even if the books like to pretend they do. Stories always go on. They don't end on the last page, any more than they begin on the first page." and that makes Where She Went feel a bit less like a fictional and more like a real story.

I will definitely buy a paper copy of this book to display proudly on my shelf and more importantly, to re-read favourite passages and savour the story after the rush that was this first read. And I would love to actually be able to listen to Adam’s songs. I always have a hard time imagining a melody to go with the lyrics I read. For me, Chasing Cars and Numb somehow are the songs that fit best with this novel. Sad and angry. Melancholy and furious. Quiet and shouting out loud.

Thanks a lot to Penguin and NetGalley for providing this Advance Readers Copy.
35 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

Janina *jumps up and down* :)

~Tina~ ~bounces with you~ Enjoy!

message 3: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Woo hoo! Happy reading :)

message 4: by Lora (last edited Mar 26, 2011 11:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Love the review, Janina! I can't wait to read this^^

~Tina~ Awesome review! I'm so happy everyone loves this book:D

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Gorgeous review Janina! I agree that it is even better than the sequel :)

Janina Thank you!

Arlene Awesome review! I'm buying it too! :P

Janina Thank you, Arlene! I think I'll be buying the UK(?) paperback:

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Love the darker shade of green and the skyline to the right ...

Milly Wonderful review J!!! I really can't wait to read this book...sounds powerful and definitely my cup of tea especially with regards to Adam!

Janina Thank you, Milly! Hope you'll be able to get it soon .

Do you use netgalley? They are offering it there. Or, at least, they were offering it a few days ago.

oliviasbooks About the paper copyx ... I am seriously thinking of buying a hardcover of IF I Stay - just to have a matching pair. A rare moment for me.