Julie's Reviews > Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Lamb by Christopher Moore

Jul 27, 2010

bookshelves: multiple-read, own, book-club, fiction
Read in March, 2009 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Having read this book a second time, I find it just as enjoyable, funny, and touching. Lamb fills the gaps in Jesus’ aka Joshua’s life that the Bible does not cover, including his relationship with his best friend and pseudo-sidekick Biff. Biff is brought back to life during present time to write his own gospel, and as he sits in a modern hotel room with an obnoxious angel, he recalls his life with the Messiah.

Joshua knows he is the Son of God but he doesn’t understand what it is he is supposed to do with his gifts. So he and Biff travel east to find the three magi who came seeking him when he was born. Their adventures are unlike anything you could have imagined and Moore’s creativity is both hilarious and poignant. His depiction of Christ’s humanity is affecting and authentic; an exceptional but confused boy who grows into a man with the same needs and frustrations as all of us, but with innocence most of us outgrow. There are familiar characters like Mary and Joseph, Mary “Maggie” Magdeline, but we also get to know other peripheral characters such as the Three Wise Men, Lazarus, and the Apostles. While this may offend some conservative Christians, anyone who’s been to Sunday school would appreciate this spin on Christ’s life as told from a uniquely unapologetic Biff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lamb.