Looney's Reviews > Minion

Minion by L.A. Banks

May 25, 10

bookshelves: will-never-read-again
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert ** LOONEY'S BOOK REVIEW for MINION AND THE AWAKENING (first two books of Vampire Huntress Legend Series):
Okay. So I know these books came out a while ago, but I'm just getting around to reading them and I want to review them so I can spare others the wasted time and energy. I'll just say it now:
DON'T READ THESE BOOKS!
I rarely start a series and don't finish it, but there is no way I am reading the next 8 books in this series. Here's why:
1. Poorly written- I have rarely, if ever, read a published author so bereft of the basic skills needed to describe a scene to a reader. Half the time I had no idea what was going on. I'm not exaggerating here.
2. Weak characterization- she jumps right into the middle of a team of vampire/demon hunters and only gives a basic description of each team members physical characteristics (once, at the beginning of the book) and hardly any description of their personalities. This comes out a little bit as the book progresses- like I know that Rider is the one that likes to run off his mouth and complain. I found myself not caring about any of them- not even Momma Marlene!
3. From what I hear, the cardinal rule for every writer is : SHOW, DON'T TELL. There was so much telling going on in this book in the way of boring dialog (telling in quotations) that I found myself skimming those sections just to move on.

There are other reasons I could list, but I feel like this is plenty. If you've read this far I guess I might as well give you a few positives *SPOILER ALERT*:
1. The love tension between Carlos and Damali. I have to say, I am a complete sucker for romance in my books. She does an admiral job of building the sexual/romantic tension between these two characters. It was the only thing that kept me reading!
2. I liked her emphasis on not only the dark spiritual aspect of her world, but the fact that they were battling it with positive spiritual weapons (like prayer, worship, keeping their bodies pure, etc.). In this genre, you rarely find an author who can pass these other aspects of the spiritual realm off without sounding campy. L.A. Banks does that well and I have to sit back and appreciate it.

If this review was helpful to you, visit my blog where you can find my other honest opinions on books I've read: www.amusingreviewer.blogspot.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Minion.