laura's Reviews > My Name is Red

My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk

Dec 14, 2007

it was ok
Recommended to laura by: book club
Read in January, 2008

this book sort of felt like a text from an art history elective i never went to but had to study for the final...with all its intricate descriptions of artworks that were interesting, but too unfamiliar to respectably imagine, i skimmed paragraphs and pages waiting to get the chunky parts of the story. i really wish it had pictures to be honest.

as one member of my book club said "i feel like i need to read this book again, but i wish i never read it in the first place". the whole time i was thinking "nobel prize winner...it must be worth it...nobel prize winner...it must be worth it".

the characters are written well as full people you can imagine, but the point of the plot is a mystery that never truly compelled me.

i'm aware that the translation could be a factor, as well as my complete lack of knowledge about the history and culture of turkey, the muslim faith, and the political subtleties that are probably at play.

i guess a lot of it went over my head. i've heard his other books are easier, and i'd definitely try another one, but it'd be hard for me to recommend this book to anyone like me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Red.

03/09/2016 marked as: read