karen's Reviews > Readers' Advisory Service in the Public Library

Readers' Advisory Service in the Public Library by Joyce Saricks

gather round chilluns - it is that time of year, where i get to review textbooks!! i will only do one today, because i do not want to overstimulate your excitement-panels, but seriously - this book is so much fun, i can hardly stand it!! it's probably not much fun if you don't love books, but for me, it is a total curl-up-on-the-body-pillow funtime read. it should be required reading for anyone who wants to talk about books on this website or amongst friends or to strangers on the subway - or wherever you do your best book-talking.

it has everything: the r/a interview, articulating appeal factors, promoting the collection, highlighting unknown titles, book talks and book lists, topics like "differentiating between hard and soft-edged suspense"; all the shit i nerdily love!

readers' advisory is by far the most fun thing in all of library school; it is like being a book detective or a book matchmaker - setting people up on blind dates with books and hoping they find a life together (well, in a library setting, i suppose i would hope they find a two-week period of happiness together and then - a painful severance). and it is the hardest class to get into because the demand is so great, and it is not offered every semester, and it ends up being like a book club, but with papers, and rarely any wine. and although i complained about a lot of the books i had to read for the class, i still feel like i learned a lot about genre fiction (which is the other textbook - stay tuned!)

but so my professor, the reigning queen of all readers' advisory says this book is flawed because it does not go into enough about indirect readers' advisory through merchandising and effective displays, but shhhh!! that is my ace in the hole, the gladiola in my back pocket - displays are the only thing in this world i am truly good at, and someday when i myself am the queen of all readers' advisory, it will be because of this advantage i have from my years of retail servitude. and the book does go into that enough, i think. shit like that is more intuitive - you either know what you are doing, or you don't. but i know how to move books. i can make really good displays to attract the peepul with colors and covers and proximity and subliminal connections (and as ariel would tell me - bears)

and i don't want joyce g. saricks giving away the secrets.
yet.
when my unauthorized biography comes out, then you will all know the secrets.
until then - this book should suffice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Readers' Advisory Service in the Public Library.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melody (new)

Melody Makes me want to curl up and read it too. Or better yet - get you to recommend a book for me.

karen i can do that! if you want to private message me with a couple of words, moods, preferences, i will see what i can do for you.

message 3: by Ademption (last edited May 25, 2010 08:10AM) (new)

Ademption karen wrote: "gladiola in my back pocket"

Nice Morrissey reference.

Also, any use of "chilluns" gets my vote. Reminds me of my grandpappy, who used it ironically until it stuck.

karen noted.

i have now gone back and inserted it into every review i have ever written.

message 5: by Ademption (new)

Ademption karen wrote: "noted.

i have now gone back and inserted it into every review i have ever written."

Damn, it is going to be a busy day.

karen but you have to admit, considering i have over 500 reviews, i did that super quick! sometimes the reviews read awkwardly now, though. oh, well, gotta sacrifice for glory etc etc.

message 7: by Ademption (new)

Ademption karen wrote: "but you have to admit, considering i have over 500 reviews, i did that super quick! sometimes the reviews read awkwardly now, though. oh, well, gotta sacrifice for glory etc etc."

That's all well and good, but now chilluns for you will also cease to be ironic. It'll be your word of choice to describe little, young people. One convert at a time to a mock-Southern dialect. Phase I of my absurdly subtle masterplan is in motion.

karen it will replace "monsters"?

message 9: by Ademption (new)

Ademption Well, not the scientific terms: monsters, and for the really little, sociopaths who lack strength. But in colloquial, everyday-shootin-the-shit terms, I hope so.

karen okay - i will give it a try. i am going to work now, so i will attempt to use it to corral the manga-reading masses of young boys and the magazine-reading masses of young girls into polite, courteous quiet little reading machines.

come, chilluns, while i educate you about how to treat items that do not belong to you, and how to treat your elders...

karen i did try it. the just rolled their eyes at me the way chilluns do.

i sent them on their way.

message 12: by Greg (new)

Greg Does this book tell you how to handle customers who are looking for books with photographs of angels in it? I know this is mainly for fiction, but does it help you with dealing with the deluded?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

you actually made me want to read a textbook. you are definitely good at more than just displays.

karen no - nothing on angel photography. i think questions like that were mostly covered in last semester's textbook about "conducting the reference interview", and finding out what they really want, not what they are telling you they want. of course, the people who want angel photography do in fact want angel photography, and nothing can be done with them.

ariel - this textbook is awesome!
do it!

karen here, suckers!

message 16: by Ademption (new)

Ademption Well, it isn't quite Anne Geddes territory...

message 17: by Greg (new)

Greg Is that really an angel? I have some doubts.

karen really, alice??

looks as real as any angel i have ever seen!

message 19: by Greg (new)

Greg You're the angel expert then.

karen does this mean i have to handle all the customer questions from here on out?

message 21: by Greg (new)

Greg Yes, they are all yours now. You can also have any questions about spells.

karen speaking of which, i could not find the witch's almanack this evening, disappointing a man with a gigantic head.

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg oh no, he probably needed the spell to make his head smaller!

karen precisely. way to go, zone 4...