Kindlelicious's Reviews > Moon Sworn

Moon Sworn by Keri Arthur

May 26, 2010

Read from May 25 to 26, 2010

Warning: Spoilers from previous books are unavoidable.

Since Riley Jenson is one of my favorite heroines ever and this concludes the series, I’m abandoning my normal review format to discuss Moon Sworn, but I will do my best to avoid spoilers. Moon Sworn picks up weeks after the death of Riley’s friend Kade and her soul mate Kye. While she survived his death, she is deeply depressed and battling the emptiness of his loss. Riley, Rhoan, Liander and Quinn are still awaiting the child Liander’s sister is carrying for them, which gives Riley the will to live. Shortly after saying good bye to Kade, Riley’s boss Jack calls in her help on a murder case. Because of the experimental drugs given to Riley in a previous book, she has developed the ability to speak with the souls of the recently deceased. The soul gives her enough information to figure out this murder was motivated by revenge. As with all the other cases Riley works, she quickly gets the details she needs and solves the case. However, Blake Jenson is still seeking revenge. Blake has developed an elaborate plot to make Riley suffer from memory loss and adjust to a new life before he kills her. Of course, Riley is not going down without a fight, even if she doesn’t know who she is. When she finds herself lost in a small town with a new identity, she somehow keeps being Riley…and being Riley means finding all trouble possible. Luckily another murder case pops up and has so many similarities to the vengeance murders she was investigating, her memory is jogged. Before Blake’s plan comes to an end, Riley must figure out who she really is and take care of the Jenson pack once and for all. That’s all I can really say without giving away the ending so I will move on.

My thoughts on Moon Sworn and Riley Jenson’s journey:
I am literally wincing as I type this, but I did not love this book. Over the past 8 books Riley Jenson has been through some serious stuff. SERIOUS stuff. She has been beaten (a lot), shot (even more), kidnapped, drugged, raped while drugged, genetically altered and forced to kill her own soul mate. So, as far as I’m concerned, being dumped in a small town with no memory was like child’s play for Riley. She also happens to have a crazy lethal twin brother and the most bad-ass vamp boyfriend on Earth who can tear a small town apart. And the case she was working didn’t even have layer upon layer of messed up Aussies to peel away. She solved it with only like 2 gun shot wounds and a dead hooker! So seriously? This was the send off she got? Sigh…I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you were sick of fate kicking the crap out of Riley, then maybe you were relieved that things finally got easy for her. But the reason I love Riley Jenson is how she always gets herself out of trouble on her own, without even relying on all the back-up she has available. She is one of the smartest, sexiest, most kick-ass heroines I have ever read, and I loved every minute of her journey up until this point. But this book felt almost formulaic to me. I was really hoping for something even more over the top than the multi-species fighting ring from Tempting Evil (which is my fav book in the series and has one of the most awesome climactic battles ever!), but maybe it was time for things to calm down for Riley. I am sure lots of people will love this final piece of Riley’s story. And I really did love the ending; it was nice to see Riley finally at peace with herself and her past. I think I was just ready to go on one more insane adventure with my favorite werewolf\vamp\seagull shifter and I don’t feel that I got it. But don’t let my semi-negative review take away from this series. I loved these books. They are so much fun. I will miss Quinn’s hotness, and Rhoan and Liander’s sweetness, and Jack and Sal being super annoying. I will miss Riley being that ridiculous seagull then shifting in midair to break someone’s jaw. I will miss (actually have been missing for a few books now) the horny wolfie full-moon sex clubs and Riley’s unapologetic promiscuity (why the hell couldn’t she hook up with Cole just once?!?). And finally I will miss getting to read all about Australia, which made these books unique for me. Okay, gushing is complete. It feels weird to actually have closure from one of these series though. Especially since book 8 left us with Riley on death’s door, its kind if nice to know everything is good now. So if I can give no other reason to read this series, read it because IT’S DONE.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Sworn.

Bridget Totally agree.. especially about Cole! At least once would have been nice.lol

Cathy Great review! I think maybe we needed one more book. Her sudden turn-around from deeply depressed to serene and sure felt really rushed to me. The tough journey through the previous books was clearly taking her either here or to being what she dreaded, a psychotic killing machine, but the sudden clarity in her desires and emotions happened too fast. But the end with the pack was very satisfying and I like where it left her and her little family. I'll miss them! I hope they turn up in Risa's books so we can see how they're doing.