Tracy's Reviews > Makers

Makers by Cory Doctorow

May 25, 10

bookshelves: teen, science-fiction
Read in May, 2010

First I want to say that I don't think this book should be labeled as teen - none of the characters are teens nor do I think the situations presented would appeal to teens. The technology - real and imagined - would probably be the only draw for teens.

That being said, I loved Part I and had the book continued in the same manner, I would have given it a higher rating. Part I introduces Perry, Lester, Suzanne, Kettlewell and Tjan, the driving force behind the concept of New Work, which can be summed up as reuse and recycle on steroids. Perry and Lester, based in Florida, are creative partners with crazy-mad imaginations. Suzanne is an imbedded blogger who is chronicling their work. Kettlewell is the new CEO of a merged company who is quite forward-thinking in running his new company, Kodacell, and Tjan is the business manager sent to help Perry & Lester determine what's marketable. The New Work movement is successful--until the stock market can't value it. Lots of people lose lots of money and start over again - and that's when Part II and the deterioration of the story begin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Makers.