Cass - Words on Paper's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Dec 14, 2010

bookshelves: review-copy, read-2010, favourites, 2010-release, author-love, romance-overload, desperate-for-reread, france
Read on November 30, 2010

Oh my lord. I am in love.

Anna and the French Kiss is, without a doubt, one of my favourite books of the year. I'm a bit worried about my review, since there are so many rave reviews out there, and how can I express in words truly how I feel about this crazy book?

If you love contemporary YA novels with cute guys, friendship, and heartbreak and all that other good soapy-esque type stuff . . . Anna is definitely the book. It definitely takes up a spot in my top 5 for 2010. I was so engrossed in the book that when I flipped to the last page and looked at my alarm clock sitting next to my bed, I realised I had stayed up until 2 am.

Anna and the French Kiss follows the story of an eighteen year old girl, Anna, who has been shipped off to Paris in order to complete her education. There, she meets some cool people, even a super cute guy, Etienne St. Clair. He is extremely well-liked among many; even Anna has her sights on him. Trouble is, he has a serious girlfriend. As Anna takes on the challenges of learning an entirely foreign new language, going to a new school AND living in it, sight-seeing, and trying to keep up with her friends and kind-of-boyfriend back home, WILL she be able to keep away from this forbidden fruit?

Sorry for the sucky whatever you want to call it. I think I just paraphrased the blurb. Anyway.

The characters are written to perfection. They have flaws--real flaws, both physical and emotional. Their interactions and dialogues are charming and witty. Some such include a pillow fight between two best friends, email scripts, making a wish on a star (quoted!) and sleeping over. I found myself continuously urging myself forward in hopes to read more interactions between Anna and Etienne, since they are amazing together--hilarious.

Etienne is a mixed-up guy with an American father and British mother (?), who lived in London, but went to America one year for school, and now he attends SOAP (School of America in Paris). He also has brown curly hair and brown eyes, but he has an air of confidence and everyone likes him. But he's shorter than most, but due to his confidence, Anna doesn't seem to notice. Their relationship, their ups and downs are fabulous and realistic and seriously...I swooned. I'm a bit embarrassed by that.

Oh yeah--Anna is set in France! As a little girl, the one place in the world I wanted to visit was France, and I felt like I got to finally visit Paris through this book. Every landscape and chapel that is described is done so in such immaculate detail that I found myself breathless at times, just basking in the essence that emanated what my mind conjured of Perkin's words.

Anna is not only a riveting story about a girl who has been shipped off to Paris for school, but it teaches of the consequences of just one action, and how things may not always be what they seem. Anna believes that her friend from back home hates her, but truly she has been confused and left in the dust; Anna finally discovers that her situation in Paris is relative to all that has happened back home. Through her realisation, she is finally able to unfurl some of the tangle and mess that accumulates over the course of the novel.

Also, Anna is one hell of a page-turner. It has been so long since I got so lost in a book that I didn't even count down how many pages there were left to read. I just kept on reading and reading and reading, and before I knew it, I had reached the end of the book.

Stephanie Perkins. She's going to be BIG. She's definitely a new author to follow.

Conclusion: Sparks ignite in this riveting novel: Anna is romantic, funny, heart-breaking, satisfying, emotional and educational . . . one of my favourite novels of the year!
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

Quotes Cass - Liked

Stephanie Perkins
“I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Is it possible for home to be a person and not a place?”

Stephanie Perkins
“Madame Guillotine gets mad at me. Not because I told them to shove it, but because I didn’t say it in French. What is wrong with this school?”

Stephanie Perkins
“For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Most people in Atlanta don't have an accent. It's pretty urban. A lot of people speak gangsta, though," I add jokingly.
"Fo' shiz," he replies in his polite English accent.
I spurt orangey-red soup across the table. St. Clair gives a surprised ha-HA kind of laugh, and I'm laughing too, the painful kind like abdominal crunches. He hands me a napkin to wipe my chin. "Fo'. Shiz." He repeats it solemnly.
Cough cough. "Please don't ever stop saying that. It's too-" I gasp. "Much."
"You oughtn't to have said that. Now I shall have to save it for special occasions."
"My birthday is in February." Cough choke wheeze. "Please don't forget.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Please. The boy gets a boner every time you walk into the room."
My eyes pop back open. Does she mean that figuratively or has she actually seen something? No. Focus, Anna.”

“I'm sorry," he says.
"What? Why?"
"You're fixing everything I set down." He nods at my hands, which are readjusting the elephant. "It wasn't polite of me to come in and start touching your things."
"Oh, it's okay," I say quickly, letting go of the figurine. "You can touch anything of mine you want."
He freezes. A funny look runs across his face before I realize what I've said. I didn't mean it like that.
Not that that would be so bad.”

11/30/2010 page 251
67.0% "Amazing."

message 1: by Amber (new) - added it

Amber I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It's waiting for me under my Christmas tree.

Gabrielle Carolina Nash I just went to an awesome Anna signing and cannot wait to read the book!